Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Things to improve: User modify

Quote Reply
Things to improve: User modify
After two days with the 2.1 im really a bit disapointed about the handling for the usertable:
1. I cant change userdata. If i do it for my own i still have the problem that all links have the linkowner inside.
Think this is a basic thing and should be done by GT.
It should no problem to add an iD-field to the usertable. Then insert as linkowner the id instead of the username.
The same way could go a searchlist for users inside the admin to pass links to a certain user (not as a normal select-field cause of too many users will slow that down).

I really hope the community will solve this thing.

Robert
Quote Reply
Re: [Robert] Things to improve: User modify In reply to
Hi,

I don't quite understand what you mean? If you change a users Username, it will still preserve the link between LinkOwner and User.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Things to improve: User modify In reply to
You have a table for users without an ID.
In the link-table you save the name of the user as a varchar.
If i change now the name of the user in user-table (maybe with phpMyAdmin) i have no change in the link-table and must do an : update Links set linkowner="newname" where linkowner="oldname";

maybe you have programmed this inside the admin; so if i change the username in the admin the script do this for me. But i think it must be a better way to give the link-table an id;
as i learned to shorten databases its the right way to save in the link-table only the user-id as linkowner and hold username; contactname and contactmail inside the usertable.
The problem is, when using a links without user-validation, i see that problem.

But what will happen if you bring the community out? In links there is no way to change the username for the user; only for the admin. But in the forum there must be a way to change the username for the user, isnīt it so?
Will you do everytime an "update Links ..." ???

I have now to program a way to change the userdata for the user; to make it easier for me, i will give not the opportunity to change the username, but only the other fields like postaddress and some others.

BTW: How much time is at GTs to think about new ideas and program them?
Cause i use links daily on different sites for myself (and on some sites for clients) i see so many needed things and have a lot of ideas. Now i can try to do them for my own needs or write them down here to discuss with others or i could write them directly to you, Alex. But is it interesting for you?

I think (and say it for two years) with a little effort on the script, links could be much, much more than only another directory script. With additional tables (divide the link-table in the basics and a field for the table-name where extrafields are saved, with some more handling for different templates (cat, link, detailed choosen with cats or links, some improvements on the mailing (choose mail-templates for every kind of action, a new radio-button for let link not validated, but send an individual mail or a choosen standard one) and some other things (choose pics from a catalogue) LSQL could be the absolute perfect content-management-system for site-owners to have not only a link-dir, but a newspaper, a pic-catalogue, a shopping-system and so on.

I have done a lot of these things with 1.13 and the flat-version and know the work i must do for it.
For you professionell programmes this all would be a snap, but your script could raise up to the one and only standard to a very low price (e.g. there are some scripts here in germany that do all the things, i talked about; their pricing begins at 5000$ and goes up to 50000$ while the sell it with every restriction they could (only x users, only x links ...) - maybe you have seen it here in germany. Two years ago there are only some search-engines with links here (in adultbusiness where we work). Till the last 12 month we got every day 5 new ones, cause the people see what the script could do. Im shure especially in our business there are a real big market for this.
Robert