Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Templates - um...

Quote Reply
Templates - um...
Have to say that the default templates for links sql are not amazingly pretty, in fact they are a little ugly. Now i know that you guys are not in the business of making websites (that is our job) but instead making the backend for websites.

However, i do think it would be good if the software came with a lovely default template - perhaps it would be worth considering paying for someone to make a decent default set once all the template code and options are ready.

I think the ability to use the software more out of the box (at the moment i don't think you could really use the templates out of the box) would probably increase the amount of sales of the software.

What do you think? only a suggestion no one get angry please!

http://www.ASciFi.com/ - The Science Fiction Portal
Quote Reply
Re: Templates - um... In reply to
There are 3 additional sets included that you can modify -- the AV, Yahoo and Snap.

But I _DO_ agree, that having additional template sets -- color themes and layouts would be a great investment for GT and would help to move more product.

I know people put a lot (and I do mean _A_ _LOT_ of time into their templates, and are thus hesitant to share them, or make them available. I've made many of the suggestions I've made for layout and template design available, but I can't release the exact set.

The auction and postcards scripts will come with a "generic" template, that can be customized to the look/feel of the overall site. Which is their target, rather than their own distinctive templates.

I think more important than almost anything, is to upgrade the style sheets, and provide a "default" type template with different style sheets.

I know this is a change from before, but I've been doing a _LOT_ of reading on CSS and DHTML and the current wave of browsers, and the new versions of browsers actually handle the CSS based pages better than HTML based pages, and they err on the side of CSS _NOT_ HTML. Sites that are setting up to provide content are also erring on the side of CSS, not html, so the time might be now to provide a really good set of default templates, with a basic HTML design (non-CSS based) and then a half-dozen CSS-files that customize the looks.

I'm a manual HTML coder (no WYSIWYG), and only just beginning to look at CSS, so I can't make any offers to do any of it. But, I do think that CSS, because of the new HTML 4.0 standards, will probably, inevitably, be the wave of the future (Amazing how that cliche applies to "surfing" the web <G>), and it's beginning to build now.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://postcards.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
I think that is why all versions are bundled with for example AltaVista, Yahoo and Snap tamplates. I think the default ones are so basic, so that it is easy to create your own templates from scratch with easy to use guidelines from the default templates. I mean how exciting and unique is it to have a phat links directory that looks like every other one out there? I don't think I would want to have to create my own templates from an entirely blank HTML file, if the default ones were too spicy. I understand what you are saying and agree 'they aren't very attractive', but they aren't meant to be, and there are bundled options available that are usable "Out of The Box" at least 3 that look quite nice, plus they're are over 17 different downloadable template sets in the Resource Center many of which are also very nice. Just my 2 cents...

Quote Reply
Hi!

I think phoule summed it up best. The default templates are designed to be easy to edit and to changes. We do ship with three other template sets that you can easily switch to that aren't as easy to edit, but look nicer as is.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Though I do agree with pugdog on the CSS styles, they could be useful additions. But what I really think would be prime from a marketing aspect would be some sort of "Links NG as..." a postcard site, a yellow/white pages, just different common topics that SQL site admins use their copies of Links for. This would prolly bump up the price if you wanted a specific functionality included in a copy, but it could save developers alot of time in order to focus on creating their amazing unique Templates.

Quote Reply
Well, in Alex's court, that is what the "sites in action" or whatever it's called is for. To see what people have done with Links.

Some sites are more than just templates. The postcards script was a long learning curve, then a new script to run it. Also, changes to jump.cgi. Others have made even more extensive changes to the base scripts.

What I think is to the GT credit, would be to show how easy it is to change the look/feel of the site with just templates or a style sheet. That is what convinced me of how powerful it all was.

PUGDOGŪ

Quote Reply
Yes, I believe that the "Sites in Action" helps buyers to see how LinkSQL can be put to use for their own purposes. But I firmly believe (especially with the new plugin capacity) that for an extra sum of money it would be useful to have an array of those possible LinkSQL uses available "Out of The Box" so that users who's skill lay in design can focus directly on their Templates without having to learn how to Code in Perl/SQL mods.

It would make it more easily available to people who aren't quite as comfortable with Perl/SQL innards. Kind of like how Bill Gates brought computers to the masses. I love doing my mods it's part of the enjoyment I get out of using it, but most designers want nothing to do with coding. If options could made available to them, where those types of users would be comfortable initiating the purchase rather than depending on a Perl/SQL guru in order to make LinkSQL into what they want it to be before being able to consider it as a viable product.

For example a plugin that would add-in the necessary table structure to use LinkSQL as a Postcard site, including the routines and what not that it would require. So that a buyer of LinkSQL could buy the base program and then purchase an "as..." option, where at the click of a button they would have all the necessary mods, table structure changes installed, and generic add-on templates installed, then they have a fully functional Posatcard site, where the only work left is to design the templates, which is a substantial amount of work as it is...

Quote Reply
What you are asking for will come in time.

And people will undoubtedly offer other mods. I have the postcards.cgi working for links 1.1x and when this is released, I will hopefully be able to move it to a working plug in. I'm sure additional newsletter/mailing features will arrive as well.

But this is not just templates. That is whole working programs.

PUGDOGŪ