Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Template HTML header

Quote Reply
Template HTML header
The first line in the templates is
!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd"
Is this required on all the template pages?
Quote Reply
Re: [jgkiefer] Template HTML header In reply to
Nope...but if you want to continually test/validate your web pages via W3C, then I would recommend leaving those codes in your template files.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [AnthroRules] Template HTML header In reply to
Thanks!
That string causes Netscape 6 Tongue to do strange things with tables. But then again Netsacpe 6 is strange anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Template HTML header In reply to
Yeah, I found this too. It also adds extra spaces between images that are intended to be nudged up together in the up and down direction - doesn't seem to affect left to right. Even the GT demo headers look like they were miscoded. It's not the entire line that's causing the problem though. It's seems to be just the 4.0 part. Does anyone know if that is required to test/validate pages? My stats have shown and increasing number of people using this browser over the last 6 months - Is GT going to address this?

peace.
Quote Reply
Re: [klangan] Template HTML header In reply to
I just upgraded to IE6 and noticed that it behaves similarly with the HTML 4.0 declarations. Instead of defaulting to left aligned for table cells with no declared alignment, IE6 seems to view the cells as inheriting the previously declared alignment tag. Took me a while to track down the culprit, as I couldn't find anything in the HTML code that would explain it.

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: [Dan Kaplan] Template HTML header In reply to
Yep!
Only happens in Netscape 6+.
Must be a bug in the browser. I wonder if anyone has reported it yet. They must have because it is so noticeable.

Quote Reply
Re: [jgkiefer] Template HTML header In reply to
Quote:
Only happens in Netscape 6+.
Uhh, no... As I said twice above (which I believe you were agreeing with, no less), it happens in IE6. I don't have NS6 installed, so I can't test that.

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: [klangan] Template HTML header In reply to
Hi,

We'll remove those from the default templates. They should only be on the simple templates (which actually are html4.0 compliant). The default ones are not.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Dan Kaplan] Template HTML header In reply to
OOps, yes, I agree!