Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Suggestion: Add/Modify & User Login

Quote Reply
Suggestion: Add/Modify & User Login

RE: Require users to signup before they can add or modify links?

It would be good if this option in the admin was split into two...

1. Require signup before user can add links? Yes / No
2. Require signup before a user can modify links? Yes / No

This would give an admin more flexibility - I want users to be able to add a site easily without signing up, but if they want to modify a listing then they have to become members.

(my quick fix is to have the modify link go to the login/signup page which seems to work ok)

what do you think?

r
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Suggestion: Add/Modify & User Login In reply to
I am not sure if the idea might work, cuz it would create more problems than solutions.

First think about this. Lets say your web site has 10,000+ listings which users added without having to create account. Now lets assume, tons of users are wanting to update their listings, have you thought about:
  1. How to make sure that they modify/edit their listings only and not someone elses. (this could cause big troubles for you on a long term, and if you are running a high profile site, then someone can also get you in legal trouble)
  2. Now how annoying it would be for end users to have to contact you if they want to update any listing?
  3. Also, how much time would you have to dedicate in making sure that that you reply promptly, and validate that the person modifying the listing is the actual owner of the listing.

These are just my thoughts and I could be wrong, but still I thought it would be helpful to know.

Hope this helps.

Vishal

In Reply To:
RE: Require users to signup before they can add or modify links?

It would be good if this option in the admin was split into two...

1. Require signup before user can add links? Yes / No
2. Require signup before a user can modify links? Yes / No

This would give an admin more flexibility - I want users to be able to add a site easily without signing up, but if they want to modify a listing then they have to become members.

(my quick fix is to have the modify link go to the login/signup page which seems to work ok)

what do you think?

r

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------