Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Strange problem with login under MSIE 6 ?!

Quote Reply
Strange problem with login under MSIE 6 ?!
We sit here in an intranet with three pcs; everyone has his own ip, all are connected via a linux router.
If we try to login (online) from W2K, IE 5.5 or W2K, Netscape everything is ok.
While we try to login from XP, IE6 we aleays come back to the login screen.

Is this again a problem of this /&")&)§&"$§()& IE Browser?
How could i get rid off it?

Its really no choice to have a Links online that couldnīt be used by XP-Users.

Robert
Quote Reply
Re: [Robert] Strange problem with login under MSIE 6 ?! In reply to
Hi

Just a small comment.. might be no help..

I am using XP and IE 6 for a while now with LINKS sql 2.1 and never had a log in problem..
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Same here Robert. XP/IE6 and no issues!
Quote Reply
Are you using sessions or cookies?

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Sorry to be a prty pooper but me to...XP Pro/IE6

I'm not sure if it will make a difference but you could try clearning out your cookies and temp internet files just to make sure it isn't something simple.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Strange problem with login under MSIE 6 ?! In reply to
I have found an issue that can be confusing concerning login. Maybe this is what you are running into:

User logs in, selects the link to modify, and then hits the screen saying that you must log in first before you can modify a link.

The problem is that the URL are not matching up so the cookie is looking in the wrong place. For example, a person visits this site:

www.mysite.com, then they login at www.mysite.com/user.cgi. However, when they go to modify the link, the www was dropped out of the code: mysite.com/modify.cgi

Without the preceding www the browser does not find the cookies. My solution is to use a shorthand URL when coding all of the template like this: href="/cgibin/modify.cgi" and for the home page just href="/" that way, no matter how the user gets to the page (with or without the www) it will work OK.

Hope that helps,

Bryan
Quote Reply
Re: [BryanL] Strange problem with login under MSIE 6 ?! In reply to
Nor me. Had other pain in the butt little issues but not that one. I have XP pro plus IE6. I have very severe restrictions on cookies in the browser. Have you set the default to accept them from your own site? Thats the only thing I can think of. Hope this helps a bit.