Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Some clarification needed

Quote Reply
Some clarification needed
Pardon me if these seem like stupid questions, humor me.

1) Cool links. - What determines if a link is cool ? On the website here it says... "If enabled, users can see at a glance what the administrator of the site has tagged as a "Cool Link".... I don't see a place in the "edit link" or "build options" where I can "tag" a link as being cool. I'm still testing and only added 2 links so far and both are appearing on the "Cool Links" page.

I see in the general build settings: "This determines what links are placed in the What's Cool area. If > 1, the top n links will be considered popular. If < 1, the top n% links will be considered popular."

and I have the "build_pop_cutoff" set to 20 but this still doesn't explain how a link becomes cool in the first place. By page views or ?

2) What determines if a site is popular ? Both of the 2 links I added so far have the "pop" word next to them...

3) I'm testing the "top rated" index page. I rated a link, then built all. But the link I rated is not appearing on the "top rated" page. Any idea why ?

Thanks for putting up with lame questions, but I think some basic things could be worded better. And thanks for any reply's !

Quote Reply
Re: Some clarification needed In reply to
Re 1 & 2 a Cool link is a popular link. Actually one with the isPopular flag set. This flag's status is checked and set during a build by subroutine build_cool_flags in Build.pm and it is based on Hits and the value of build_pop_cutoff. Most hits most cool. If you have build_pop_cutoff set to 20, then you will need more than 20 links before any are un-cool.
3. Top Rated is determined by user votes and ratings and it has fixed threshold values. Minimum number of votes required before a link appears. To see/modify the values and number of links displayed look at subroutine build_rating in Build.pm. Top Rated is a carry over from Links 2.0.

Quote Reply
Thanks for reply,

I understand the ratings now.

But regarding the "Cool - Popular"

I figured it was based on "hits out" but with the two links I have added so far, I didn't click on them yet, so they both have zero hits, yet both of them have the "pop" icon and both appear on the Cool page. shouldn't it take atleast 1 hit before a site is considered cool, otherwise ALL of my links will be cool.....

I have this in the link.html ---->

<%if isPopular%>
<font face="verdana,arial" size="1" color="#6699cc">
<sup class="pop">pop</sup>
</font>
<%endif%>

Is there something I'm missing for the cool feature to work properly.
(I'm sure I'll kick myself but I can't see it)

Thanks for any reply.

Quote Reply
Hi,

You need to get a few links, and a few hits on different links for the popular icon to start kicking in properly.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.