Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Search bug?

Quote Reply
Search bug?
I have a category:subcat called Hiking:Asia. When I search for 'hiking', it returns the hiking category, but when I search for 'hiking asia', I get no results. Why won't it return results from subcats?

Also, if I search for 'hiking thailand', I also get no results, even though I have lots of links in Hiking:Asia that have 'thailand' in the description. Shouldn't it be able to find one of the search terms in the category name and the other term in the link description?

Thanks in advance,

Carl
Quote Reply
Re: [cco] Search bug? In reply to
Try just searching for asia OR hiking

Last edited by:

PaulWilson: Sep 12, 2001, 7:41 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulWilson] Search bug? In reply to
Thanks Paul, but I want to find any record that contains both asia and hiking, not asia or hiking. I've got my search options set for 'And'. If I search using 'Or', the results are too numerous to be useful.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Categories and links are not mixed when searching, as obviously if you searched for 'hiking' you wouldn't want to see all links in a category called 'hiking', you only want to see the category.

The other issue is only the last part of the category name is indexed, so a search for asia hiking would not match the category 'Asia/Hiking'. The reason for this is so if you search for 'Asia' you don't pull up the entire list of categories underneath Asia.

Hope this helps,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Your way around this would be to add a "keyword" field to the Category table, and put in the keywords you want the category to come up under (weight and re-index it).

Or, make sure each category has META data, that you search, or a description.

But, remember, as Alex said, you might find you get long lists of categories returned, which are not truly relevant to the users search, and which make the search somewhat useless.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.