Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Search Speed: EXTREMELY SLOW

Quote Reply
Search Speed: EXTREMELY SLOW
Hi Everyone,

We have a directory with several hundred thousand links. We have found that our search speed is incredibly slow. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to significantly increase the search speed? We are using MySQL indexing.

Also, we anticipate our directory will grow to several million links. Does anyone have any server and/or Gossamer Links suggestions for optimizing for top speed?

Lastly, we build from the command line. However, even from there, we don't always get a complete build. Any suggestions for increasing the speed and stability of the build function?

We are running Links 3.1. We do not have Mod Perl installed. Right now, we have detailed pages turned off, but we may want to turn them on at some point.

Thanks!
ATKOgirl
Quote Reply
Re: [ATKOgirl] Search Speed: EXTREMELY SLOW In reply to
I would definitely recommend installing mod_perl.

The version of mysql that you are using might be relevant - I know that I wasn't using mysql indexing for a long time because it wasn't recommended - something to do with full_text indexing not being implemented fully I think in earlier versions.

I would try using internal indexing to see whether it makes a difference (you'll probably have to wait a long time for the index to rebuild though).
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Search Speed: EXTREMELY SLOW In reply to
Thanks so much for your response. I have changed the indexing scheme to internal. However, when I try to build it from shell, it indicates that it is done after about 9000 links.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: [ATKOgirl] Search Speed: EXTREMELY SLOW In reply to
Hi,

What are the server specs? Also, how big is the mysql database (in terms of space used on disk)?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.