Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Search Score

Quote Reply
Search Score
I understand that the search results are ordered by a value called "score", at least in part. Is there a way I can retrieve this value for each of the links returned in the search and display it as a percentage?

ie

1. Link Title 97%
Link Description here blah blah blah Rate It Review It
Category: Examples/Links/Blah/Blah

2. Link Title 95%
Link Description here blah blah blah Rate It Review It
Category: Examples/Links/Blah/Blah
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Search Score In reply to
I think this must have been one of my earlier posts. And one which I still have not been able to solve yet.

I have seen the discussions in the Links 1.x forum regarding search score, and I am wondering if anything changed in versioni 2.x to allow access to such information, via plug-in or otherwise.

I am looking for the score value (not to be confused with order), which is a function of the search weighting, amoungst other things I understand. If this is not available at all, would there be a way to estimate this value based on other factors, and produce a fairly good relavancy score?

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jul 17, 2002, 10:01 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Search Score In reply to
Actually, I don't think there is any way to do that, since how can you determine how "relevant" a search is on a link?

What would be the parameters?

How would you weight it?

What would you do with a word that has 172 different shades of meaning such as "run" ?? <G>

What would you do with a word like "record" which could be a noun or a verb?

Relevancy scoring is a bogus art, sort of like trying to track detailed web stats without major use of cookies, sessions, and logged in users.

You would be much better off using a relative weighting score and leaving it at that.

After all -- if the webmaster decided that a Title hit had only a weight of 5 and a description had a weight of 3, while a keyword had a weight of 10, it's all fairly arbitrary from the git go. How can you determine which is *really* more valid for a user's search *AND* for a particular website that might actually have the most relevant "key" in the URL -- butterfinger.html -- for example when searching for a particular candy bar.

Not trying to go duck hunting, but I honestly do not see any way to do this, and to make it worth spending your time on, when you have so much else to do ;)

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.