Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Reviews & Content Management

Quote Reply
Reviews & Content Management
I was on a scripts site looking for a content management script to use for reviews and it occured to me that links SQL could be customized to do just that.

Is it possible, for example, to create a category (which would not show up in the main directory) called "Reviews" with sub-categories like Music, Restaurants, Art e.t.c in which images and regular HTML can be inserted in the description field?

It would make our (non programming) lives so much easier if it can be integrated into linksSQL.

Oh... and users should be able to submit reviews for approval.

Thanks for your time....
-------------------------------------------
I Am What I AM (Not a Programmer)

Last edited by:

galfriday: Jul 14, 2002, 1:59 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [galfriday] Reviews & Content Management In reply to
You probably know this but amazon-style review functionality is built-in in such a way that every link can be reviewed. hth.
Quote Reply
Re: [Donald Rumsfeld] Reviews & Content Management In reply to
Yes Mr Rumsfield,

What we do is we go to local galleries, restaurants, clubs and other events where we take photographs and write about our experiences and we'd like an easy way to publish this.

I guess the built in links review system will take care of visitors' comments on our reviews but we still need a way to publish stories and since I'm trying to make this site a completely GT integrated portal, I was hoping to modify LinksSQl instead of introducing another solution to the mix (was looking at Movable Type for instance) --- In effect, we want our very own blog integrated into LinksSQL...

Gosh, I hope that makes sense.

Off Topic: Anyone know if GT plans to release a chat solution anytime soon? We're looking for that as well.
Quote Reply
Hmm... Just found a related thread:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/..._latest_reply;so=ASC

I'd like to invite any programmer who'd like to tackle this to IM a bid...

Thanks...
Quote Reply
Sorry but...

You could use the records as posts. You could specify if it was a link or a post with an enum field, and use the detailed pages with conditions as such:

<%if story%>

We were at <%place%>

<%else%>

<%URL%>

<%endif%>

etc... and then on the front page you could have a global displaying the five newest links. As for Chat,

why not check out

WiredOnChat http://www.wiredon.net/
Quote Reply
Re: [Donald Rumsfeld] Reviews & Content Management In reply to
Unfortunately, daft as it may sound, those variables, numbers, whatever, mean nothing to me.
I incidentally have worked as a "developer" with a company that made so-called high end community solutions for a number of big media companies but that was coldfusion and I was really more involved in the design and integration of the various solutions - although I also followed cookbook directions to set up each service. Heck I actually compiled instant messaging systems in visual C++ but it was mindless if the truth be told -- I had no idea what the lingo was. Except for the design aspect, I was a mere assembly line worker with absolutely no idea about the engineering side.

I think the only fault I have which GT forums is that it's assumed that everyone who shows up here is a programmer. I'm embarrassed to post here sometimes. I'll add a signature line to my profile to clarify this :)

I'm certain there's a way to do it but I just don't ken the lingo. I'm willing to pay someone to do it. I'm very close to purchasing Article manager from interactive tools but it doesn't have a comment area for users.

As for chat... I have also looked very closely at the Wiredon solution... I must say I like it. It doesn't have the delay of most chats I've seen. There are just a couple things that bother me. If those can be fixed, I'll become a customer :)

Last edited by:

galfriday: Jul 14, 2002, 4:25 PM
Quote Reply
You should be able to handle the tags... they're quite user friendly.

basically, you can add a new field in the links->properties window and then use that field in the template.

so, if you have added a field called RecordType then you could put in your templates

<%if Recordtype eq 'Story'%>

Story Contents

<%endif%>

<%if Recordtype eq 'Link'%>

Link Contents

<%endif%>

I hope this makes sense. It's quite logical, and it shouldn't be too hard to do. In the long run it is beneficial to get the hang of it - for cost, speed, customisation and many other reasons.

It may however be simpler to use a dedicated blog system though :)
Quote Reply
galfriday. I am not a programmer either. LSQL does what you want with some small modifications (not ever needing to actually alter the program, just modify the templates and add a few globals.)

I can help you and show you what I ahev done with it. I don't use the reviews (yet) but it is all right there, part fo the program. Quite beautiful, actually. I bought article manager hoping that it would be simpler, because it was built for this purpose... but LSQL is a better, more industrial strength program, and easier to customize, I think. Pop me a PM and I'll help you out.

Evoir
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] Reviews & Content Management In reply to
Hello Evoir,

That's terribly sweet of you to offer to help out.

Here's what's happened so far... I purchased Realty Manager from Interactive Tools over a year ago and never used it. On a whim, I decided to send them a nice letter to see if they'd give a discount on Article Manager on account of that. To my amazement, they offered to do an "exchange" since both were the same price.

It's often overwhelming to handle design and development for our site and I just can't wrap my head around learning how to soup up software at this point in time. I'd just rather find a dependable person to hire.

I'll PM you as well... I'd like a link to check out what you've done :)

Best Regards....