Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Review problems

Quote Reply
Review problems
Hi,

I've just had an email from an understandably annoyed reviewer who spent a long time writing an update to his review only to find that the update wasn't added.

I have also noticed a couple of other updates recently which didn't seem to be very different from the originals. I don't understand this. I have just checked that the system works by adding a review and updating it. The only thing that these reviews seemed to have in common was that they were already quite long.

I've looked at the reviews database and the contents field is a text field. Apparently the maximum length of this should be 2^16 = 65536 which is a lot longer than the problem review.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks, Laura.
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Review problems In reply to
What size is the Review field in the MySQL Database?

Is it just cutting the reviews off, or just not editing/adding them at all?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Review problems In reply to
I'm not quite sure whether it is editing them or not as I don't have the original versions. They don't seem to get cut off mid word or anything like that.

As I said above, the review contents field is a text field which I assumed would be plenty big enough.
Quote Reply
Have you tried changing it to a CHAR? Text has a 255 limit doesn't it?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I thought it was CHAR that had a limit - I'll have to have another look at the docs.
Quote Reply
I have used CHAR fields with over 2000 charachters.... I thought it was TEXT that had a limit? LOL!

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
No, I think I was right. I think CHAR has a 255 limit. TEXT seems to have a limit of 65535. In case this is the problem (I can't see why as my reviews certainly aren't that long) I've changed it to MEDIUMTEXT which allows up to 16,777,215. But I still don't understand what is going on.
Quote Reply
Yeah, you are right, sorry. I was using a TEXT field for the 2000 charachter field Crazy

No idea whats going on with the reviews though I'm afraid :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thanks for thinking about it Andy Wink.

I'm beginning to wonder whether it was a problem with not being able to edit multiple times. They may have pressed the back button to keep editing and then any extra changes they made would have been rejected. I've changed this now so that reviews can be edited as many times as they want. Hopefully this may fix it - but its difficult to know until I get another complaint Unsure