Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Replicating sub categories

Quote Reply
Replicating sub categories
Is it possible to replicate sub categories quickly without having to physically type each one in the admin panel?

For example, what I want to achieve is the following:

Category A
- Sub category UK
- Sub category Eire
- Sub category Isle of Man

Category B
- Sub category UK
- Sub category Eire
- Sub category Isle of Man

I have searched the forum, but I cannot find any suitable threads.

Sorry if it sounds a stupid question - Links SQL newbie!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Replicating sub categories In reply to
Few suggestions:

1) Create a file offline (via Excel or Access) that contains the subcategories and categories. The spreadsheet or table in the Access database should be the same "structure" as the "Category" table in your LINKS SQL database.

2) You could write some MySQL queries to handle this, but it would be a bit involved.

========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
UGH...where is the EDIT feature in this forum...

Anyway...forgot to add that you can IMPORT the spreadsheet or table (from Access) into your Category table via MYSQLMAN (table maintenance/management script) that comes with LINKS SQL.

Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply

re: Edit feature -- it might be a 'bug' that users can't edit their own posts, since I see an "edit" link here, with the other options at the top of each message (but I seem to have moderator status).

Probably a simple 'if' that got over looked. Did you post in the Forum Forum :) <G>

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Yes. I posted the "bug" in the GT forum...I was simply expressing my frustration about not beng able to edit my posi and inadvertantly I neglected to apologize for posting another post rather than editing my original post.

Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me