Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Recurring Payments

Quote Reply
Recurring Payments
I'm still confused as to what *should* happen when someone signs up for a recurring payment. It doesn't seem to be working on my site yet.

Should the date of the next payment be put into the Link record - because at the moment I'm getting a very strange date in there - or should it just be never expires? Does a reminder get sent out for recurring payments or only one off payments? If I look at my successful payments log for a paypal subscription it says:

ID: b897jkhjkh Link: LinkTitle Type: Recurring payment Status: Completed Amount: $5 Recurring: No Term: Unlimited Method: PayPal (Remote) Intiated: Fri Jun 4 11:01 AM 2004 Last Activity: Sun Jul 4 11:12 AM 2004

Shouldn't it have Recurring : Yes? And I think that Term should be 1 month?

I'm wondering whether the problem is that this subscription was set up before I loaded the fixed Payment.pm - do I need to make a change in a database somewhere to get these working?

Thanks,
Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Recurring Payments In reply to
Anyone from GT around? Please can someone look at this.

I still don't understand how the payment process works. At the moment, I'm getting crazy dates added when the next payment goes through (I think the last one was 1970/01/09 or something similar). I'm also getting an email to say that a link has been added when it is already in the database. The new payments that have gone through since updating the Payment.pm file are showing as '1m' instead of '1m-rec' - which one is correct? Both new and old say Recurring: No even though Type is shown as 'recurring payment'.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Should the date of the next payment be put into the Link record - because at the moment I'm getting a very strange date in there - or should it just be never expires?
The date should be the date of their next scheduled recurring payment. So when this day comes, and if their recurring payment fails, then their link will become expired.

In Reply To:
Does a reminder get sent out for recurring payments or only one off payments?
The expiry notify script will send out a reminder for any payment which has expired. It however, will not send out an expiry warning notification for links which are using recurring payment.

In Reply To:
ID: b897jkhjkh Link: LinkTitle Type: Recurring payment Status: Completed Amount: $5 Recurring: No Term: Unlimited Method: PayPal (Remote) Intiated: Fri Jun 4 11:01 AM 2004 Last Activity: Sun Jul 4 11:12 AM 2004

Shouldn't it have Recurring : Yes? And I think that Term should be 1 month?
Yes it should. There were some bugs in the payment system that have been corrected in the latest package, have you tried downloading it and 'upgrading' your copy?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Recurring Payments In reply to
OK - I did install the new Payment file but I'll try reinstalling and see whether that fixes it.

Thanks, Laura.
Quote Reply
OK - I've upgraded but I haven't tested it yet.

I've just been looking through the files - as far as I can see, it should just be 1m rather than 1m-rec in the payments_term column of the Payments table (otherwise it says that the payment term is unlimited on the payment detail page). And the reason that Recurring is set to 'No' for all payments on the detail page seems to be that it is looking for a payments_recurs variable which I can't find anywhere else in the software - so I guess this isn't really needed in the template?
Quote Reply
Yup, it should be 1m with the payments_type column set to 2 instead of 1m-rec. In regards to the Recurring row in the payment details, just ignore it. I think it's just extra html that should have been removed when it was copied from Gossamer Forum's payment code (since the Type row tells you if it's a recurring payment). It'll be gone in the next release.

Adrian
Quote Reply
OK - thanks for that. Also, I think that the reason I was getting crazy dates after upgrading the Payment module was that I had set the payment term to unlimited as the dates were wrong with the initial bugs - so I think it must have been adding a week onto zero when the next payment was made. So, I'm currently going through my paid links and putting sensible dates in.

Hopefully it should all be working now. I'm even getting round to adding my existing paid links into the database - hope this doesn't cause too many more problems Tongue. (In case anyone else wants to do this - you can get an id number for the payment by putting <%Links::Payment::generate_unique_id()%> into a template, and you can do date conversions here: http://www.onlineconversion.com/unix_time.htm)