Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Integrating LinksSQL with mod_gunzip

Integrating LinksSQL with mod_gunzip
Hello folks,

I think the most important feature of LinksSQL is its ability to build the static HTML pages, because this can save the CPU resource (the CPU resource really does matter if you have a popular enough site, especially if you don't have multi CPU server with plenty of RAM).

As for the bandwidth saving, i am using mod_gunzip which compress the static HTML files only once instead of dynamically compress files such as mod_gzip, also, mod_gunzip offer superior compression level and faster than mod_gzip, so mod_gunzip could saves more for both bandwidth and CPU resource as well.

Is there any way (or global) to make LinksSQL automatically gzipped the HTML files (compressed to *.html.gz files) then rename it again to HTML extention, instead of manually compressed and renamed files after build? This way we still can do build changed only, no need to build them all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks...

Kay

Last edited by:

Kay: Mar 28, 2003, 4:30 PM

Re: [Kay] Integrating LinksSQL with mod_gunzip In reply to
Never mind, i have already got what i want. Now my site can be accessed blazingly fast and space and bandwidth consumption has been reduced about 76%, WITHOUT sacrificing CPU resource, thanks to mod_gunzip.

It can be accomplished by utilizing Compress::Zlib library from CPAN and made some modification to the nph-build.cgi.

Hi,

I have 200,000+ links and detailed pages for each and every one of them. I doubt I could run static mode as rebuilding would take forever.

I see a lot of discussions ref. dynamic vs. static and my conclusion (although it may be wrong) is that if you have enough machine power you can run all in dynamic mode with no problems.

I have still to launch the Links version of our site - but we currently serve some 15-18 million pages per month - sure hope Links will cope with it..

Any comments are welcomed..

Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com

Re: [klauslovgreen] Integrating LinksSQL with mod_gunzip In reply to
Do you use mod_perl? This really increases the performance.

BTW: Your post seems to be offtopic here. Don't reply here, instead open a new thread.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

Re: [webmaster33] Integrating LinksSQL with mod_gunzip In reply to
Quote:
Don't reply here, instead open a new thread.

Perhaps leave the moderation to moderators =)

Quote:
I see a lot of discussions ref. dynamic vs. static and my conclusion (although it may be wrong) is that if you have enough machine power you can run all in dynamic mode with no problems.

True to a degree I expect. I've never used page.cgi with large amounts of traffic so couldn't give you a solid answer.

Quote:
I have still to launch the Links version of our site - but we currently serve some 15-18 million pages per month - sure hope Links will cope with it..

Links is just the front end and can handle unlimited amounts of data - it is the backend, ie the server, database and network that are the vital factors.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 2, 2003, 8:40 AM

Re: [Paul] Integrating LinksSQL with mod_gunzip In reply to
Well, the moderators don't moderate. Especially you don't...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

One of the benefits mod_gzip has over mod_gunzip is that it can compress dynamic cgi output as well as html, ssi calls and php.

I don't beleive mod_gunzip can do that can it?...or maybe I'm wrong?

Although I guess it was a bit off topic - I thought it was related to the thread.

I appreciate the response.
Klaus

I don't see it as being off topic. The thread was related to improving speed and efficiency and that's what you were asking about.

The subject was not about LSQL performance.
For LSQL performance issues I would prefer separate thread, which describes better the real subject of the thread (i.e.: "Links SQL performance issues").
There are really lot helpful informations in the forum, but if the informations are not sorted under correct subject, they becomes very difficult to find them using the Search feature of GForum...

You may consider this.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support

Quote:
becomes very difficult to find them using the Search feature of GForum

Right, in the same way a search for "Xtended" gives 42 results all advertising the same non existant plugin - I guess that's more confusing for everyone that the issue you are referring to in this thread Wink

http://gossamer-threads.com/..._username=&mh=50

ouch....

We are talking about subject, not about other facts... Seems you misconfuse some things...
I guess nobody would search the forum for "Xtended" string, unless he/she wants info about my plugin. The fact that these plugins are not released yet, is not related to the subject/offtopic problem we were talking about...
All poster names are Webmaster33 or Paul. Nobody is confused by result of this search! Also "Xtended" is not a word used by all people!

So your sarcasm is not valid!

Again, seems you put your personal problems into your discussions, which is not fine from a moderator. Furthermore you filled again this thread with unrelated posts.
Paul, I have no problem with you as valued member of the forum. You are very helpful for many people. However as moderator you completely fail. I could list several threads you filled with unrelated & offtopic discussions, while as moderator you would have the job to avoid this.
I don't want to be moderator, since I do not have time for that. But I don't think if this is fine for you, to remain as moderator.
I will contact Alex to remove you from the moderator list.

Posts nr. 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12 are totally unuseful in this thread, and should be deleted by a REAL moderator. A moderator's job is to filter the discussion correctly, and not to fill a technical thread with craps. You are not a moderator man in my eyes.

Posts nr. 3, 4, 6, 8 are useful posts, but are offtopic, since the subject was about "Integrating LinksSQL with mod_gunzip".

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support

Let's get things into perspective.

If you want to be picky I could probably say that the "personal" remarks were started by you:

Quote:
Well, the moderators don't moderate. Especially you don't...

I ignored that comment and carried on with more useful posts.

Then you came back with another offtopic post about where you think everyone should post:

Quote:
I would prefer separate thread

Then I replied in defense of Klaus, as, as a moderator I felt the location of his post was fine and as the original topic seemed to have been resolved then there was no real harm being done.

Then you just made one more "personal" off topic rant

Quote:
However as moderator you completely fail.

Quote:
But I don't think if this is fine for you, to remain as moderator.

Quote:
and should be deleted by a REAL moderator

Quote:
A moderator's job is to filter the discussion correctly, and not to fill a technical thread with craps. You are not a moderator man in my eyes.

I'm afraid the evidence speaks for itself.

I'm locking the thread.