Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Related Categories

Quote Reply
Related Categories
Could someone please explain a newbie (myself) the related categories concept to me.... I have an idea of what it is but I just want to be sure before setting about relating a thousand+ categories!

Ok,

If say I have a "Regions" category , like DMOZ... and all the links sorted by regions under this.... in my other top level categories, say i have Arts->Music->Bands&Artists:

1. if a user submits a link to either Arts->Music->Region->British Columbia->, OR Regions->British Columbia->Arts->Music , would this be stored as one link? and if so which category is the master and which is the copy.... I read the manual on this, but I am still a little confused.

2. Will the link duplicate checker show / recognize this as 1 link or 2 links?

3. Is there an SQL statement or something I can use to create these relations (like above) automatically.... what I am getting at here is I imported the DMOZ Regions, and I want to create all my non-regionalized categories (Arts->By Province or Territory, Businenss->By Province or Territory etc) and the associated relations from the Regions i have already imported.

I sure hope at least some of this makes sense!!

CrazyIan

Last edited by:

sooke: Apr 4, 2002, 11:34 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [sooke] Related Categories In reply to
I just added a realtion like:

Home : Business : Internet UNDER Home : Computers

But now I see INTERNET under COMPUTERS as well as COMPUTERS under INTERNET!

Is there a way of making this one way only? Example: I only want Internet Under Computer , and NOT computers under internet!

Gosh, does that make sense?
Quote Reply
As someone who has a site where two entire categories are related categories, let's see if I can explain:

In the Browse section of your database, you create a category called Home/Computers.

You also want Computers (the category) to appear under Work. Select the category Work and then click Related. Once there, you type in the name you want to call it (Computers) then click on the category you want to relate to Work (Home/Computers). When you look at the live site you will see Computers under Home and @Computers under Work. Clicking on @Computers under Work will take you to the category Computers under Home.

Does that make any sense?
Quote Reply
Re: [rayhne] Related Categories In reply to
Yes, it does! thanks for replying.... though, just one more thing, by doing this (using your example), will Work now show up as a subcategory of Home->Computers even though this is not what we intended?

I seem to set up a relation between categories, and it sets it self up both ways, not just one (I hope this makes sense)!Crazy
Quote Reply
It shouldn't. Anyone have an explanation as to why that should happen?

Check out my site: http://www.fanficweb.net/directory/

If you go into the Directory, you'll see a category called Fan Fiction. Click on it and the first column is By Media, By Rating, By Title. By Title is the main category, the other two are all related links (once you get further down a category).
Quote Reply
hmmmmm...... the plot thickens.

I have relations showing up as sub-cats, but not as related cats in my
category.html output. Maybe it is supposed to do this, but the questions is, when/where does something show up in a "realted category" part of the output?
Quote Reply
I take it you checked it off so that you have Yahoo-like related categories...if that's the case, then they don't appear under Related Categories on your pages...related categories will only appear as the @links. I just removed that portion.
Quote Reply
Ahhh, now that makes sense!

Thanks a lotCool!