Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Editing with wysiwyg

Quote Reply
Editing with wysiwyg
Can anyone tell me the best way to make visual changes to the templates on my local machine?

I have just taken over a site, so as yet, I am pretty unfamiliar with Gossamer Links.....and need to change a few things such as the menu bar, but when I download the template files to edit them, they obviously don't have any local style sheet or images to provide a visual layout. I can't see which part of the templates reference the style sheet.

Any help would be much appreciated! w00t

Thanks
Piglet
Quote Reply
Re: [piglet] Editing with wysiwyg In reply to
No, don't download them, use the built-in template editor - Control Panel > Build > User Templates.

If you're site is built using static pages you can preview your changes by viewing them dynamically first. When you've made a change click the Dynamic link in the top menu. It does take a bit of getting used to.
Quote Reply
Re: [piglet] Editing with wysiwyg In reply to
piglet wrote:
Can anyone tell me the best way to make visual changes to the templates on my local machine?

I have just taken over a site, so as yet, I am pretty unfamiliar with Gossamer Links.....and need to change a few things such as the menu bar, but when I download the template files to edit them, they obviously don't have any local style sheet or images to provide a visual layout. I can't see which part of the templates reference the style sheet.

Any help would be much appreciated! w00t

Thanks
Piglet

Try this:

1. Backup existing template and image folders... just incase there is a mess.

2. Open up template in Expression Web site and make sure you are having proper linking to css file.

3. From then on..u should be able to see the wysiwyg editor type system.

4. Now just because you see the wysiwyg preview.. while you make changes.. make sure you do so via code view in expression web to get pixel perfect accuracy.

This seems to have worked for me greatly.

Hope this helps.

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] Editing with wysiwyg In reply to
Thank you for the advice....I did in the end just edit them using the standard editor, it turned out not quite as bad as I thought it would be! Smile