Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Keeping entries in a 'private' sub-category hidden

Quote Reply
Keeping entries in a 'private' sub-category hidden
hi

I welcome advice and help on this.

I would like to have a Category Editor be able to run their own personal Category. Within their Category - they would be able to add entries to TWO sub-categories. One of these would be entries that would be in the public domain and visible to all visitors. The other sub-category would be 'private' and only visible when they wanted to look at these private entries. They would not be publically visible, i.e. in the public domain.

Is what I am looking for possible in some way in Links SQL? If so, an explanation of how to do it would be fantastic.

Thanks
Steve
Quote Reply
Re: [cuppa] Keeping entries in a 'private' sub-category hidden In reply to
Really keen to get an answer please. I need to know whether I am wasting my time with Links SQL for what I intend to do... Thanks
Quote Reply
I've got a sub category that is not displayed, simply by placing a tag on the category page excluding it.

In my case the sub category can still be accessed by the public but you would be able to protect it using HTAccess?
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Keeping entries in a 'private' sub-category hidden In reply to
Thanks Alba, that is great news!

Can you do me a favour and paste the tag you used - and advise where to place it - i.e. what template and where abouts within the template. Thanks.

I was a little confused by this part of your message>

In my case the sub category can still be accessed by the public but you would be able to protect it using HTAccess?

How can the sub-category be accessed by the public if it isn't displayed?

I think I understand what you mean by HT Acccess. In other words every sub-category has its own folder so that means you could protect with a HT Access file that locks out anyone trying to open it directly via a browser. Is that what you mean?

Thanks again
Steve

Quote Reply
Hi, sorry for the delay in replying.

In category.html I replaced - <%~include subcategory.html%> with

<%unless Short_Name eq 'hidden_category'%>
<dt><a href="<%URL%>"><%Name%></a></dt>
<%endunless%>

I would think you could also make this change in subcategory.html but it didn't suit what I was doing.

Quote:
How can the sub-category be accessed by the public if it isn't displayed?

Although it is not displayed, it is still visible to the search engines because all I am doing is hiding it from being listed on the category pages. If you truly want to hide it, then use htaccess to prevent it being read unless the reader has a password.

Quote:
I think I understand what you mean by HT Acccess. In other words every sub-category has its own folder so that means you could protect with a HT Access file that locks out anyone trying to open it directly via a browser. Is that what you mean?

Yes.
Post deleted by cuppa In reply to
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Keeping entries in a 'private' sub-category hidden In reply to
Thanks Alba, your answer will help me move my project onwards!

However - you have raised another potential problem in my mind. You suggest code that will keep the sub-categories from appearing on my site's web pages - but how do you prevent the search engine that is part of Links SQl showing hits from the sub-category entries that you have hidden from public view?

Anyone able to offer advice, please?

Thanks
Steve
Quote Reply
I think I would hide entries from the LSQL/GLinks search engine by adding a field 'public' in both category and links tables with the default being 'Yes'.

When I wanted to hide the categories/links, I'd set the field 'public' as 'No' and then in the search engine results use the tag

<%if Public eq 'Yes'%>

This could also be used instead of the tag for hiding the subcategories in the main webpages.