Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Few questions Pre Upgrade

Quote Reply
Few questions Pre Upgrade
I had upgraded to 3.0.0 but then downgrade again to 2.99.1 overwriting the files ( specifically uder discussion in following paras ... /Config/Data.pm)

Observations:

In order to apply the available fixes/updates for 2.99.1 i had to go back to Admin and uninstall the Updates (Like page_id for example) otherwise it would not show up as available updates despite the same not being available visibly on site (things dependent on that post downgrade broke). This is just one example.

Questions:

Any upgrade/downgrade means that the fixes/updates applied earlier willl have to be done awy with and then applied fresh for the version installed/upgraded/downgraded to. Currently it happened this way as it seems that reinstall, as Data.pm does'nt seem to get cleaned up of earlier fixes/updates. (i believe that's where the history of updates/fixes applied are stored in)

(1) Now if it's a 2.99.1 --> 3.0.0 upgrade (once the confirmation on up and ready installer being available), does it mean that the Fixes/Updates applied to in 2.99.1 will have to be uninstalled and then reinstalled again?

(2) If the above is true, then a 2.99.1 fix/update showup as updates /fixes done post upgrade so that it can really be uninstalled?

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] Few questions Pre Upgrade In reply to
The above also gains significance on the basis of following observations from repeated test upgrades 2.1.2 --> 2.2.0 --> 2.99.X during the initial testing:

2.1.2 --> ConfigData.pm
2.1.2 --> 2.2.0 --> This upgrade leaves ConfigData.pm and at the same time creates Config/Data.pm -- This causes all confusions upon subsequent upgrade as the starting install is detected as 2.1.2 and not 2.2.X which ideally should be.

ConfigData.pm was not getting cleaned up during upgrade from 2.1.2 --> 2.2.X when it should have been as the same in 2.2.X was Config/Data.pm

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Hrm, it looks like the code to delete the old ConfigData.pm was left out somehow. We'll have to get this fixed up.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Few questions Pre Upgrade In reply to
OK.
So when should i plan the upgrade to v 3.0.0 from 2.99.1.

Also, what would happen to fixes applied in 2.99.1 when upgrading to 3.0.0 ... this could have something to do with Config/Data.pm cleanup issue by installer upon version change (lower --> higer or vice versa) so that the fixes/Updates are avilable visibly on the Admin Home Page (which currently does not happen when it's a downgrade ... As Config/Data.pm carries the fixes record as applied even on downgrade ... never seen this in upgrade really but would be following it closely now).

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
You shouldn't be using a newer Config/Data.pm with an older version. If you back down to an older version, you should be backing down your Config/Data.pm along with it.

Adrian
Quote Reply
OK. So can i confidently plan an upgrade now?

[edit]
While on downgrading, i thought that installer should be doing a cleanup/reconciliation with the files being installed. Say i run ./install.cgi of 2.99.1 on glinks3.0.0 installation ... what should happen?
[/edit]

Thanks
HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Apr 12, 2005, 11:36 PM
Quote Reply
Hi

If the installer is up can we upgrade confidentally? I have been trying to take confirmation since there was no official announcement wrt the update/fixed installer scheduled for 12th/13th April 2005

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
We've decided to not repackage 3.0.0, but instead hold back a few days and release 3.0.1. Unless you're upgrading from 2.x, there's nothing preventing you from using 3.0.0.

Adrian
Quote Reply
OK i shall give it a shot tonight (my timezone) and comeback if there are any issues.
It's going to be a 2.99.1 -->3.0.0 upgrade. But i am sure that FileMan fix is available for 3.0.0 as that was what caused us to step a version down.

Thanks
HyTC