Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Release 2.1.0

Quote Reply
Release 2.1.0
I am currently using version 2.0.5 and am interested in the following new features that were outlined in a release email that I received:

==================================

- A full featured review system is now built into Links SQL.
This includes anonymous reviews, validated reviews, "helpfulness"
guide, review summary, view user review profile, and much more.

- Ability to use MySQL and MS SQL's full text indexing! This
allows for very fast searches as all the work is done on the
database. Our manual has a nice summary of all the different
indexing schemes available.
===================================

The million dollar question is what do I need to do to install this update? I have just added all of my categories and have yet to start populating the directory so my gut feeling is that this is the perfect time. By the same token, however, I would like to retain what hair I have left on my head so I was hoping that this is not a complete re-install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: [bobl] Release 2.1.0 In reply to
You can perform the install and select the upgrade option on the first screen. Your mysql data won't be lost (backup though), the installer is clever enough to know what to overwrite and not overwrite.

You will want to backup your templates if you customized them.

Apart from that you should be fine. Upgrades are really quick and easy and generally pain free Smile

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 1, 2002, 3:07 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Release 2.1.0 In reply to
Well it all looks easy enough and I did everything as suggested, but it appears to only do a partial upgrade and gives "permission denied" messages for most of the cgi files that it attempts to open or create. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob
Quote Reply
From telnet/ssh cd to your links cgi directory and do:

chmod -R 0777 *

...and try again. It should work then.

Thats how I solved the permission denied errors when it happened to me. Sometimes it is to do with ownership though.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 1, 2002, 3:57 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Release 2.1.0 In reply to
Thanks for the info! It all seemed to go OK and it even notified me that the the upgrade was completed, but it could not open two files, "page.php" and "review.cgi," and was denied permision for "search.cgi and rate.cgi. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob
Quote Reply
Looks like this one is now resolved. It turned out to be an ownership issue. For some reason some of the files installed with different ownership assignments? Go figure! In any case all is well at least to this point with the upgrade.

Thanks fo the help,

Bob