Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Are there any issues with the Auth_vBulletin 1.8 plugin?

Quote Reply
Are there any issues with the Auth_vBulletin 1.8 plugin?
I've got to switch to a more powerful, robust, and feature laden forum software and thinking about using vBulletin. However I've read (only a really brief smudge on the world) that Links SQL doesn't integrate with vBulletin when using static pages in Links sql. There was no further explantion so Im not sure what to make of that.

Are there any issues of using the latest vBulletin forum software and Gossamer Links sql? Any shortcomings I should know about?

It would be better for us to make the switch now rather than wait until we have hundreds or thousands of users already registered in the community auth system, and since I've been reading posts on this forum about how the latest Gforum is only a few weeks to a few months away (yet some of those posts were written more than a year or more ago, so seems it was delayed. So since I don't know when this new version of Gforums is really going to be released, I think it's high time I quit screwing around with trying to make our Gforums work the way we want it to and make a switch. However I refuse to switch away from Links sql, I've got a lot of money and time invested in it. So....

Are there any issues that I should be aware of when trying to use vBulletin and Gossamer Links sql (either static or dynamic pages)?

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: [Westin] Are there any issues with the Auth_vBulletin 1.8 plugin? In reply to
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...?post=305657;#305657

If you are planning on using static pages of Links SQL (specifically .php files, not .html), read further as that's how mine is integrated. If you read my post entirely, you can see that I've figured out EVERYTHING with help from two great people (Vishal & aus_dave) except for one issue (of users getting logged out every 15 minutes, vBulletin's default setting which I guess I can change if I really have to), which is not a critical one at all. This means that if I can figure it out, awesome, but even if I can't figure it out, I'll be ok.

I'll be writing a summary of the toughest problem I had to solve for my own sake here, and will post a link to my website when it's all done, so that anyone interested can see how everything works in a live website. So yes go ahead and get vBulletin, I am VERY happy with the current integration. And yes I'm in the same boat, I will keep using Links SQL as I don't see any reason to upgrade, at least for now.

Last edited by:

V.E.C.T.O.R.: May 28, 2009, 2:28 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [V.E.C.T.O.R.] Are there any issues with the Auth_vBulletin 1.8 plugin? In reply to
Wow, sounds rather complex. After reading all of that and not being involved on one side or the other to know what's what, it seems it may be easier to just make people have to register once in Links and once in vBulletin if I end up going that route.

I'll wait for the summary to see what it contains before I go through that kind of integration.

It seems to me that the easiest way for me would have simply been to alter the registration of whatever forum I use so that it writes the username and password to the Links database at the same time it writes it to the forums database, then force everybody to simply login on each applicaiton they want to use. I've done this before with SMF forums, however i never completed it to where when an account was deleted, it would remove that user from Links. From what I remember of it (it's been a couple years now) that might be the easier way to go for me, but again I'll wait for the summary.

Thanks,