Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

PHP Front End to Links SQL

(Page 2 of 4)
> > > >
Quote Reply
Re: [Michael_Bray] PHP Front End to Links SQL In reply to
no chance of changing from Vb. The features of gforum currently don't even appear to come close. but i guess this is now not the place to discuss the pros and cons of forum systems.
---------------------------------------------
DeskPRO.com http://www.deskpro.com?r=gt
vBulletin.com Moderator and Support http://www.vbulletin.com/
Quote Reply
Quote:
Out of curiousity - will this be one file, or will it be a detailed.php - search.php - add.php etc?
Alex wants it to be one index.php and using do=function... Cleaner with the number of files required to put in your web root or wherever you want to put it, but the extra do= parsing (easy and fast) and an extra include (also should be fast). Not that much of a diff between doing the one file method and the multiple file method (though I'm more used to the second method when coding php).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] PHP Front End to Links SQL In reply to
Quote:
Free upgrade!

That would be for current LINKS SQL users but what about a first timer..

Last edited by:

Ian Conza: Sep 12, 2001, 1:03 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian Conza] PHP Front End to Links SQL In reply to
I think (I'm just a programmer, not sales Tongue) anyone with a Links SQL license can use the perl cgi version or the php version. So if you're a new user, if you buy a Links SQL license, you get to use both the perl cgi version and the php version.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] PHP Front End to Links SQL In reply to
vB people please post in the G-Forum area to help Jason make improvments and/or add options. He's doing really good!

why vB and pay $$$$ use phpBB (open source - just a copyright and powered by notice cost). that is if you like using something other than a GT product.

Honestly, I'm on the sidelines until GT officially release a price schedule. I can also manage to wait ... Wink
my phpbb board will tide me over in the meantime.

What ever your choice -- be happy!

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Quote:
Out of curiousity - will this be one file, or will it be a detailed.php - search.php - add.php etc?

It is currently one file, tentatively called page.php which you will be able to accomplish all the user side functions. To customize/integrate, you will edit the templates of course. The difference being the templates don't use the standard <%if .. %> syntax, but are regular PHP.

As for price, if you don't own Links SQL, then you just need to buy it (now or later) for $450. It uses the same admin/database so really there is no php or perl version, you will be able to switch between them as you like.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex,

I just want to express my gratitude that GT is growing LinksSQL to include a php front end. It really does allow us to have a better (dynamic) web site in a shared hosting environment. I have owned a copy of LinksSQL for like 5 months now, still haven't gone public with it yet, but have been customizing and preparing to go live soon. I will wait for the php version, so my urls don't change more than once.

I like that you guys build quality products! (Also, this will integrate with my vB wonderfully. And I do love my vB!)

I'm really excited about this! Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [padders] PHP Front End to Links SQL In reply to
Quote:
no chance of changing from Vb. The features of gforum currently don't even appear to come close.

What features does vb have that GForum doesn't?

Last edited by:

PaulWilson: Sep 12, 2001, 10:41 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulWilson] PHP Front End to Links SQL In reply to
PaulWilson,

vB has such a wonderful and powerful admin panel. It gives so much flexibility. Also, I have found that it is really intuitive for folks who might not be experts in programming... yet gives all the functionality for someone with tons of experience.

I don't know what GF can do, but vB allows my moderators to Merge Threads, Move Threads, Auto Redirect Moved Threads... varying permissions per usergroup (admin defined) and so so much more. GF might be just as cool. Just, I am not going to switch out of something that is working really well for me.

Our members love it too. (We switched from UBB about 6 months ago).

I don't know about how well it is written or not, but I have heard that it is written really well (version 2). I think the version 1 was a little sketchy.

here's an example: These posts about vB should probably be split and moved to the GF area. Can this be done? Can you pull certain posts out of a thread and either move them or merge them with another thread? (perhaps you can, I don't know). but it seems that we should continue this conversation down there. Smile

Last edited by:

Evoir: Sep 12, 2001, 11:02 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] PHP Front End to Links SQL In reply to
this php thing is brilliant news, can't wait to see it. Thanks again everyone.

Paul, other features..

- mass pm to users
- buddy lists
- infinte level of forums/categories
- memberlist
- ignore list
- subscribe to forums/threads
- user control panel
- mass move/merge/split/stick/ threads
- unlimited styles
- co-branding features
- referrer information
- brilliant template system. everything is a template
- stars (probably in gforum)
- stats in admin area
- custom replacement code

i am sure there is more, some of these might be in gforum but i have not seen the admin section. Gforum does look really good though, better than wwwthreads i feel already. so yeah, nice.
---------------------------------------------
DeskPRO.com http://www.deskpro.com?r=gt
vBulletin.com Moderator and Support http://www.vbulletin.com/
Quote Reply
This is the best news I've heard in quite some time! I had actually half considered trying to overhaul Links SQL to play friendly with PHP, since the all-Perl approach has limited several things I've wanted to do with my site, but I didn't envy that undertaking.

Quote:
You could I guess build static php pages like many of you do now, but there would be little benefit (as you are already using the overhead of running a php script, might as well generate the whole thing dynamically).
For an existing site that has hundreds, if not thousands, of category directories/pages (static) indexed in a multitude of search engines, I would think it would be very important to be able to operate the PHP frontend as separate index.php pages to be built through the category.html template in each directory, as well as a single one-in-all page as discussed elsewhere in this thread.

Similarly, if taking that approach (separate index.php pages in each Links-built directory), and if there isn't already such a feature in the latest versions that I haven't yet worked with, a very useful tool would be the ability to un-build the existing index page in each directory at the same time as the new PHP version is being built. Otherwise, you would have to delete them one by one or delete all the top level categories in one fell swoop and hope that you don't have any interruptions rebuilding before someone tries visiting... There are probably some recursive command line tools that could accomplish the goal, but I don't work enough with that to know exactly what they would be.

Dan
Quote Reply
About time u guy'z... PHP4 is the route to go... Waaaaaaaay advanced and waaaaaaay faster... Smile

ed

Less Talk More Action: www.9o9o.com
Quote Reply
FYI...I'm running PHP3 and PHP4 scripts on my server... Once a server upgrades to php4 it will take on php3 scripts no prob...

Let's go... I want this program yesterday... Wink

Now I just gotta figure out what url I can use to finaly impliment my sql license... LOLOLOL

ed

Last edited by:

edpak: Sep 13, 2001, 4:04 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [edpak] PHP Front End to Links SQL In reply to
Quote:
Waaaaaaaay advanced and waaaaaaay faster...
Not really actually. Perl is much more advanced and a much more complete language in terms of what you can do with it. As for speed, perl is again faster then PHP.

Where PHP shines is the fact that Apache can easily embed a PHP processor inside of itself. This means that the PHP processor is always loaded and always in memory, and running a php script is very quick. When you do the same thing with perl (via mod_perl or SpeedyCGI) the results are just as impressive.

The downside of course is that mod_perl is not as for ISP's to use as PHP (mainly because perl is so flexible that there are more ways to hurt yourself then with PHP).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Guess I shoulda clarified my posting... I was referring to php3 vs php4... Sorry...

Oh Yeah... I hate being in pain...

Btw... Alex... Kudos on the new message board... Looks great but I still like my vb... Smile

ed

Last edited by:

edpak: Sep 13, 2001, 4:32 PM
Quote Reply
Alex, just ignore ed, he's been taking some php lessons and his tutor has brainwashed all his students so they now think php is the best thing since sliced bread.

Believe me, its php this, php that, can you find this script in php, can this be done in php LOLOL......

We use a php realtime chat script on our site and it is more buggy than the middle of the Amazon. (and isn't poorly written or maybe it is.....who knows)
Quote Reply
Quote:
Alex, just ignore ed, he's been taking some php lessons and his tutor has brainwashed all his students so they now think php is the best thing since sliced bread.

The same way some of the people at this forum have been with Perl? Wink There is always going to be some people that think there one is the best. I use PHP cause its fast and easy, If something was very important I would get it done in C or C++. A well coded PHP application won't be buggy, and a well coded Perl application won't be buggy. I', not starting a War here, so don't take this as a flame, its just the following quote that got on my nerves Tongue

Quote:
We use a php realtime chat script on our site and it is more buggy than the middle of the Amazon. (and isn't poorly written or maybe it is.....who knows)

Cheers,

Michael Bray
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Oh dear,

I know Ed and I was making a joke about him and his obsession with php

I don't particularly care whether php or perl is best. The post was not about that.
Quote Reply
Didn't mean to start an argument here but I'm a UBB (perl/cgi) convert to the vB...

I know for a fact that the UBB was using 3 times the amount of server power to funtion in comparison to the vB...

It's not that I don't like perl/cgi it's just that in order to make perl/cgi coding fuction just as fast as php a server needs all kinds a add on paraphanelia... Compress this, compress that, speed up this and speed up that...

Our poor cobalt can't take the pressure... LOLOLOL
(just kidding)...

In any case I'm grlad to see that GT is spreading it's wings...Wink

ed

Last edited by:

edpak: Sep 14, 2001, 5:29 AM
Quote Reply
Paul's just chittin' around... The script isn't that bad and the errors only show up when I do some modifications to it...Wink

99% or the time they're javascript errors...

ed

Quote Reply
Hey don't make fun of Cobalt !!!

It's still being taught full time in Japanese high schools!!! high schools in Japan don't teach, java, perl or even html but they manage on Cobalt Tongue

I'm not joking either ... Frown

hmmm ... I wonder if they're preparing for the next 2yK problem [sarcastic]

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Quote:
Paul's just chittin' around... The script isn't that bad and the errors only show up when I do some modifications to it...

Good job Ed gets my humor.
Quote Reply
Sorry - looks like you guys took my response the wrong way. I didn't mean to piss you off or anything, I didn't think my reply would be interpretted the way it was.

I just wanted to clear up the point that a well coded PHP app wouldn't be buggy. I'll admit, I can't quite see the funny part of it, but I'll re-read it a few times and try to find it, I have a good sense of humour, so I should be able to find it in there somewhere Tongue
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
I doubt you will get the humor unless you know Ed fairly well. I was taking the micky out of Ed which I expected only him to understand, whilst others thought I was saying php was buggy but I was referring to Ed's coding (in a joking way).
Quote Reply
OK Cool Smile
Cheers,
Michael Bray
> > > >