Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

How to change categories URL's upper case letters to lower case

Quote Reply
How to change categories URL's upper case letters to lower case
Is there a way to change categories URLs letters from uppercase to lowercase? Example www.example.com/pages/Business/Business_Services/ to www.example.com/pages/business/business_services/

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [Z] How to change categories URL's upper case letters to lower case In reply to
Hi,

Are you using static built pages, or mod_rewrite?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] How to change categories URL's upper case letters to lower case In reply to
static
Quote Reply
Re: [Z] How to change categories URL's upper case letters to lower case In reply to
Hi,

There is a plugin from GT that will do this, but I can't remember the name of it Whistle I know it has "tr" in the name - something like StaticURLtr or something. You should be able to find it from the GLinks admin panel, in the download area :) Basically you can set it to replace A with a, B with B, etc

Hope that helps

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] How to change categories URL's upper case letters to lower case In reply to
I found the plugin. Yes, it is called StaticURLtr. Thanks Andy.
Quote Reply
Ah cool - good guess <G>
Quote Reply
Hmmm ... So I installed the plugin. Made changes shown below. Updated the plugin. Got this message:"Plugin updated successfully.", then I went to "Build: and "Build All", but the URLs are still starting with uppercase. Example -> http://www.example.com/pages/Art/Architecture The funny thing is that if I mouse-over a category that starts with an A in building category window, "a's" are showing in correct lower case and others are showing in uppercase like it should. But on the website is still all in uppercase.

In replacements field I put A:a and I turned on option for "if you want to lowercase the category/detailed url". Also tried without this option but it didn't work.

Last edited by:

Z: Oct 20, 2011, 9:05 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

Sorry, I can't say I've ever used the plugin (as I use mod_rewrite most of the time, which this plugin doesn't support). Maybe Adrian (brewt) can suggest a fix, as I believe (could be wrong ;)) that he wrote it.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I might be wrong about my settings. How can I tell do I use mode_revrite?
Quote Reply
Hi,

If you use mod_rewrite, you will be able to tell by just making a change to home.html (i.e add some text to it). Then browse to your directory homepage, and if you see the new text (without a build), then you are using mod_rewrite

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
My fault. It worked great, I just didn't update links from the home page that where still pointing to the uppercase URLs. So I deleted all static files and rebuilt the whole thing fresh, updated links on the home page, and now everything looks as I wanted it to look.
Also I didn't have to put change for each character, for example A:a, just selecting "Yes" on "Turn on this option if you want to lowercase the category/detailed url. Note that the lowercase operation happens before the replacement occurs." did the trick.