Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

1 Row to 2 Colums

Quote Reply
1 Row to 2 Colums
Currently the directories in my GLinks display like this;

6 Directories then a space then 6 more then a space all going down the page.
Instead of it going six link then a space than another six links and a space how
do I get it in 2 columns side by side instead of one column.

Last edited by:

milljea: Mar 9, 2006, 10:12 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [milljea] 1 Row to 2 Colums In reply to
The default is 2 columns. If you have not altered this in the globals, it is likely that the category names are too long for the columns.

It is possible to get rid of the spaces by change the columns globals (home page & category page)
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] 1 Row to 2 Colums In reply to
In Reply To:
The default is 2 columns. If you have not altered this in the globals, it is likely that the category names are too long for the columns.

It is possible to get rid of the spaces by change the columns globals (home page & category page)

No I havent changed anything;

This is how it is appearing;

Arts (0)

Business (0)

Computers (0)

Education (0)

Entertainment (0)

Government (0)

Health (0)

Recreation (0)

Regional (0)

Science (0)

Shopping (0)

Society (0)

But I want it in two colums side by side.

Last edited by:

milljea: Mar 9, 2006, 11:51 AM
Quote Reply
I don't understand that, can you pm me the URL of the site so I can look?
Quote Reply
You have a lot of tables appearing down the page, this is probably the source of your problem. Where are they coming from? which version are you using and are you trying to use an older template set?
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
You have a lot of tables appearing down the page, this is probably the source of your problem. Where are they coming from? which version are you using and are you trying to use an older template set?

This is the latest version of GLinks, I have the latest updates. Ver. 3.1

No, I am not using an older template set (well I dont think so), I am using the luna that it came with.
I just tried to get it to match my site.
Quote Reply
All I can suggest is that you look at the original luna templates (press 'diff' at the top of each template) and see how they are set out.

I definitely think the problem is being caused by the fact you have introduced tables; the luna template set doesn't use tables and so they are upsetting the layout.

Can you remove the tables and try to adapt the standard code?
Quote Reply
It's probably the CSS. Sometimes, certain combinations of content, padding, browser width, etc can lead to the columns being too wide and thus wrapping to look like a single column. Try adding this to your luna.css:
Code:
#category dl, #home dl {
width: 48%;
}
The default width is 49%, but I've noticed that sometimes this can result in the columns wrapping.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] 1 Row to 2 Colums In reply to
In Reply To:
It's probably the CSS. Sometimes, certain combinations of content, padding, browser width, etc can lead to the columns being too wide and thus wrapping to look like a single column. Try adding this to your luna.css:
Code:
#category dl, #home dl {
}

The default width is 49%, but I've noticed that sometimes this can result in the columns wrapping.

Thanks, question. How do I restore the original luna.css?
I just messed it up bad!
Quote Reply
The original luna.css really only contains one line (the rest is commented out):
@import url(luna_core.css);

Adrian
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
The original luna.css really only contains one line (the rest is commented out):

I dont understand?

Should I reinstall GLinks?

Question: If I am using my own .css file is there something I should put in it?

Last edited by:

milljea: Mar 9, 2006, 2:13 PM
Quote Reply
No, there's no need to reinstall. I was just trying to say that the original luna.css file (not the luna_core.css file) by default just contains example CSS rules and loads the luna_core.css file. If you don't need the examples from the luna.css, then you can just create a new luna.css file with the line from my last post at the top of the file.

Adrian
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
No, there's no need to reinstall. I was just trying to say that the original luna.css file (not the luna_core.css file) by default just contains example CSS rules and loads the luna_core.css file. If you don't need the examples from the luna.css, then you can just create a new luna.css file with the line from my last post at the top of the file.

I added it but still its the same.

I really need to fux this, any ideas?
Quote Reply
not sure if you fixed this, but does your luna.css (with an updated date/time on your server) contain only:

Code:

#category dl, #home dl {
}

The default luna.css is just a bunch of examples on how to modify the css, and the *only* thing you need in it is the line that imports the luna_core.css file first.

Then, it was suggested that the value of 49% might cause some problems with some layouts, and dropping it to 48% fixes it.

Did you try this, as shown above?

Also... since browsers tend to cache the .css files, make sure your file on your server has an updated date (some FTP programs don't update the date). If you are editing within the CSS Editor in the admin area, it will update the date for you.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.