Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Last Few Categories won't re-build

Quote Reply
Last Few Categories won't re-build
hi all

I modified the category template to fit the style of my web site. When I rebuild (using staggered re-build) all the categories/sub-category pages re-build OK... EXCEPT for the final few - where the old template still remains when I click those categories. I am at a loss to know how to fix it. Any advice?

Here's the URL of a correct category page
http://204.73.203.120/pages/the_3G_store/3G_Books_-_buy_here/more1.html

Here's the URL just at the stage where the re-build used the new template graphics but didn't show any of the data on the page,
http://204.73.203.120/pages/the_3G_store/3G_Events_-_buy_here/more1.html

and here's the URL the next category in the list where the old template is showing up(!) but at least the data appeared unlike the previous example (Wierd??!)
http://204.73.203.120/pages/the_3G_store/3G_Reports_-_buy_here/more1.html

All advice welcomed,

Steve
www.the3Gportal.com
Quote Reply
Re: [cuppa] Last Few Categories won't re-build In reply to
Are any errors reported when doing the build? Or does the build complete 'successfully' ??? BTW, nice site design Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [A.J.] Last Few Categories won't re-build In reply to
Andy

Thanks for the response - yeh, the staggered rebuild goes through OK. No error messages. Just that a couple of the last few categories don't appear on page 10 (the last page) - of the rebuild windows. Strange. (oh thanks about the site - it's all down to PHP-Nuke for the platform and pixelmayhem.com for the skin)

Steve
Quote Reply
Hi,

Very strange! Can you run a normal build? If so, does it fix things? Also, are you using Category_Template field at all? Perhaps one of the other categories has a special template set?

If you are still stuck, send an email to support-lsql@gossamer-threads.com with admin access info, and ssh/telnet login and we'll take a look.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Last Few Categories won't re-build In reply to
hi Alex

The answer is "no" to all 4 questions.
Quote:
Very strange! Can you run a normal build? If so, does it fix things? Also, are you using Category_Template field at all? Perhaps one of the other categories has a special template set?
Quote:

I'll email you for help as per your advice.

Thanks
Steve
Quote Reply
I was about to start a new thread -- then I saw this one.

We have a problem that may be identical. In brief ... build-staggered does not build all the categories all the time. I have been doing repeated test for the last three weeks, just to satisfy myself that the error (if that is what it is) is not browser-related or caused by a server malfunction.

Our test database has 98 categories with 120 links -- in other words, it is tiny. My tests are simple -- here is the method ...

1. /usr/bin/touch /PATH_TO/.../directory/timeflag
2. Run build staggered from a browser.
3. /usr/bin/find ./ \! -newer timeflag -name "*.html" -print

If all categories have been built, step 3 should generate no results at all -- but on more than 90% of tests, there are at least some categories not built. Typically, the number of unbuilt categories is 5 or 6, but sometimes as many as 15 -- which is a high proportion of the total.

I cannot detect any pattern in the unbuilt categories, except that they tend to be categories at the end of each discreet build -- as though the browser refreshes before the server returns with all the page results.

Normal build-all seems to work as expected (though I haven't tested it). However, we are on a shared server and really want to use build-staggered. But in practice, it is not available.

Any thoughts GT?