Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

templates.... and design

Quote Reply
templates.... and design
Can I design a site.... then throw code into it to make it work with my template?

Or do I have to work with the stuff there....?

i want to create some cool templates.. like flashkit.com etc... but have no clue where to start.

I can design..... but not a coding genius.
Quote Reply
Re: [6foot4] templates.... and design In reply to
Hi

I will greatly recommend starting fresh with Links SQL...

Desiging a site similar to flashkit.com is not hard at all (at least the look)..

I will recommend creating/customizing three templates (include_header.html, include_footer.html, include_leftside.html)..

then work your way through each Links sql template to get to match...

That can be done professionally for a fee and it will give your site the look you want and you will have to add the individual links...

But learning it yourself is better although its harder and WILL take some good time to do..
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Tip: Try to use as much sytle/class where you can right from the start. It makes for less work later on when you change your mind or want a new look, I can attest to this personally.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] templates.... and design In reply to
include_left.html that is a template in linksSQL.. already?

I didn't see it.. I must have missed something...

Guess I better do some reading.. as design and html are easy for me.. but coding kinda sucks..
Quote Reply
Yes. Get a feel for what templates exist in the template set first. Then set about modifying them.

You may need the odd global to fill the gaps where you want something to show up in your templates which is not already provided, like announcements or top lists etc. But check around on here, there is a lot of great stuff! Also, look in the reasources section.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
TWO THINGS TO KEEP ON MIND...

1- What IAN said about using the Styles to control the look so you will have more control with less work..

2- DO NOT create too many templates on top of what Links SQL has.. the header, footer, menu, search and left templates should give you full control over the site look...
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory