Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

suggestion for LinkSQL 4.X version

Quote Reply
suggestion for LinkSQL 4.X version
I would like to suggest that some functionality of DBMAN SQL or similar functions integrated into new version of LinkSQL... so that an average users can add more fields in addition, search & results page automatically, when running LinkSQL wizard which ask like how many fields to add etc. while installing LinkSQL & generate linkSQL for that site accordingly

Another good example script is http://www.ezdatabase.org/

As of now, LinkSQL is near prefect, but stuck in stone age, as link directory listing is as old as internet & is mature enough. It's time for LinkSQL to be more flexible... now some will argue, some top level sites have already done modifications to add extra fields... but that require advance knowledge with database & modifying the code in different templates manually.
Quote Reply
Re: [jasy007] suggestion for LinkSQL 4.X version In reply to
Let me add some other LSQL v4.x suggestions:

• !!! Multiple database support
  • Table relation support, similarly like in DBManSQL
  • Better Permission support, similarly like in DBManSQL
  • Selected plugin should be executed in selected Categories only
  • !!! Category specific additional Link fields (i.e: Car specifications: Make, Model, Year, BodyStyle, Color, Tyre, etc... Computer specifications: Make, Model, Year, Processor, Speed, Memory, Hard Drive, Monitor, etc...)
  • !!! Common API level above GT apps - currently there is no common application API between GT apps (I mean not the GT lib, but the application library, like Links, Comm, etc...).

• GT application cross-access integration - a new module (with an easy API) into GT module collection, to be able to cross-access all GT application tables, main config files, plugin config files, hooks, modules, plugins.
    The Module could be named GT::Integrate or GT::Apps, with submodules, like GT::Integrate::LinksSQL, GT::Integrate::GForum, etc...

• !!! Admin login separate script - Admin login should be moved to a separate script, which can be renamed for security reasons

• !!! Support multiple language in same template set!!! (without the need to open new template for each language)

• !!! Support to 1 common GT module directory for all apps

• !!! Support to 1 common template module directory for all GT apps

• !!! Support dynamic_preserve feature in all GT apps

• !!! Support for caching of output html feature (small timeframe and same input variable content)

• !!! URL generating - Support to make URL parameter names changeable. Currently URL parameter names are hardcoded in GT apps!!!

• !!! Template parsing of ConfigData.pm values! - Support to make possible to use a config variable within another config variable!!! Example: $CFG->{"server_URL"} = "http://www.site.com"; $CFG->{"db_cgi_url"} = "<%$CFG::server_URL%>/cgi-bin/Lsql";

• !!! Support LSQL a section based template system, with reusable, changeable sections, inheritable into subcategories. This means to inherit template elements, sections, local & global variables into subcategories - This would be excellent GT template feature improvement. Currently only one full template can be inherited and overrided in the subcategories (Category_Template). But if I want to change the design, I need to change all templates, depending which part of template is changed. I have to include even <head> or <html> tags redundantly, when these should be used once when design is done, then should be automatically reused where needed. Therefore the main category page should provide a skeleton (section) of the design, then subskeletons (subsections) recursively, which should be inherited to subcategories. I will open a new thread for this later, then will explain how this section based template system should work in LSQL.

• ! Support WAP/WML? - Support WAP/WML in all GT apps

• ! Support FastCGI - long waited feature, which would make possible additional crossOS permanent environment beside mod_perl. SpeedyCGI is not crossOS solution, available on Linux only.

• Support LSQL to have virtual category links to other category (shortcut) - So you can create an Electronics/Computers/Accessories category, which is "virtually linked" to Computers/Accessories. So opening page Electronics/Computers/Accessories will display same links like in Computers/Accessories, but with different template design if needed.

• Support LSQL to hide categories (+1 vote for idea of nt6)

• Support LSQL to set to exclude categories from link-submitting (+1 vote for idea of ManuGermany)

• Support to handle mail-bounce-handling (+1 vote for idea of ManuGermany)

• Support to have the GT plugin developers able to check if they are currently on admin interface, or on public user interface. There is MISSING a global variable, which is set if we are printing to admin interface or to public page.

• CPAN release of at least GT::Template module. CPAN release of full GT lib would be also a good idea, but since you may have some business interests not releasing publicly, I can just mention that this would be fine.
    But think about, that this would greately advertise the www.gossamer-threads.com website and products...
    And since the products are really fine, that would mean a lot more buyers. (+1 vote for idea of Chaz)
  • Search Engine Friendly GT v3.0 apps & URL translations
[/ol]

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Dec 11, 2005, 5:04 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [jasy007] suggestion for LinkSQL 4.X version In reply to
Might be a good idea to bring up these suggestions again.
They are still awaiting to be implemented...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] suggestion for LinkSQL 4.X version In reply to
webmaster33 wrote:
Let me add some other LSQL v4.x suggestions:

• Table relation support, similarly like in DBManSQL
  • Better Permission support, similarly like in DBManSQL
  • Selected plugin should be executed in selected Categories only
  • !!! Category specific additional Link fields (i.e: Car specifications: Make, Model, Year, BodyStyle, Color, Tyre, etc... Computer specifications: Make, Model, Year, Processor, Speed, Memory, Hard Drive, Monitor, etc...)

I agree 100%!
Quote Reply
Re: [katakombe] suggestion for LinkSQL 4.X version In reply to
I second that.

Also, make google base and oodle submissions easier (for sites that run classifieds, etc.,).

Thanks[/quote]
Quote Reply
Re: [socrates] suggestion for LinkSQL 4.X version In reply to
socrates wrote:
I second that.

Also, make google base and oodle submissions easier (for sites that run classifieds, etc.,).

LSQL is great product.
But the "Category specific additional Link fields" feature would make it an outstanding product!
It would simply not have competitor, AFAIK...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] suggestion for LinkSQL 4.X version In reply to
The ability to switch from a WYSIWYG form input to flat panel.

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing