Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Question for Pugdog

Quote Reply
Question for Pugdog
Was just wondering if you ever finished that auction plugin you were working on? Have a client who is interested in creating an auction site, and wanted to look at Links vs. other perl scripts for this...

Thanks,

</not a clue>
Quote Reply
Re: [Kilroy] Question for Pugdog In reply to
Hi

The auction system I was working on was for version 1.11, and i abandoned it.

I'm sketching out a "trade" system, which will easily work into an auction system, and Ian was going to see about pitching in, but he's gotten swamped under.

I'm trying to sort out my sites at this point, and this sort of system is now #2 on my list.

Right now, what I'm working on is an arbitrary tables system, first to integrate into the new GT shopping cart system, then to be able to be used for anything -- from attachments to letting different categories function as classifieds, or personals, or catalog, etc, without needing a new Links License, and without cluttering up the Links database. This would work best for small to medium sites, sites which would not have the resources for a second or third copy of links anyway.

What it does is create extra tables with extended links data, and each link can keep track of what tables it has extra data in by checking a Links_Tables table, for associated tables. It's rough, and "repair" systems and integrety checks are weak, but it's working, so the theory is sound :)

I lost a week here, and hope to have a minor demo on-line in a day or two.

So, the short answer is no, I don't have a working auction program, but, I hopefully will, with the added benefits of running as a "swap" system, where no money is exchanged.

Caveat: Because of the problems of billing on-line, there was no monetary incentive to build the auction system. There was no way to do billing. Once GT releases their shopping cart, and Gossamer Community, hopefully there will be a way of hooking into the payment systems from Links, and at that point, an auction (commercial) system will be viable.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [Kilroy] Question for Pugdog In reply to
Oh.

Another limitation of the the 1.11 program, is that it required a "full" install of links to run properly.

I think I have the auction script and initial templates, if anyone is interested. It's really, really rough (it was one of my first attempts) and it's not completed, by any stretch.

part of the problem, is I was trying to *better* ebay, and that required features of Amazon, and until the ratings/review system was added into links, all that was missing :)

If someone wanted to use it as a starting point..... though you might be better off starting fresh <G>

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.