Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Newsletter passwords

Quote Reply
Newsletter passwords
I have recently upgraded from Links 2.0 to Links SQL and am in the process of setting up a new site.

I have found if a new visitor subscribes to the newsletter and then later on uses the same email address on the user sign up page to add a link they are told "the email address you entered is already taken"

The visitor then has to go through the process of going through the forgotten password screen to be mailed the password that was set-up automatically when they subscribed to the newsletter.

Is there a way round this ?

On signing up to the newsletter could the person be mailed with the password and an introductory message ?

Doug.
Quote Reply
Re: [Doug Campbell] Newsletter passwords In reply to
hello,

The subscribe/unsubscribes will be stored in the User database. each visitor who subscribes to a newsletter is directly an unvalidated user.
Quote Reply
Re: [ridesworld] Newsletter passwords In reply to
Although the newsletter subscriber becomes an unvalidated user if you then go to register to add a link using the same email address the program still picks up the email address and comes up with "The email address you entered is already taken."
Quote Reply
Re: [Doug Campbell] Newsletter passwords In reply to
hello

yes due to the same reason.
The best thing, I think, is to use anothertable for the subscribes, but this needs some programming into Massmailer.pm & subscribe.pm