Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Newbie w/ Template and Columns Questions

Quote Reply
Newbie w/ Template and Columns Questions
Hey Gossamer Experts -

I could use a wee bit of help - All of this is new to me - I have managed to build Categories and Links without a problem - however, I tried to build a new Links Columns and it won't appear as "Live." Here is my trail:

I went to:
Database > Links > Properties > Add Column - I added one

Then I clicked on Build > Build Changed

Then > View Static - the new column didn't appear
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, Templates...

Since I built my site in Dreamweaver, I am not as adept when looking at html coding - I know enough to be dangerous Pirate How can I make the links SQL look more like my site? Can I built a template page in Dreamweaver and load it over to Links SQL?
Okay, I didn't say so in my subject line, but I have a third question...
How can I disable the ADD A LINK / MODIFY A LINK / RANDOM LINK / LOGIN that appear on each page? Is there also a way to hide the URL underneath the title of the websites in the links area?

Okay, I think that might be enough to fill my brain for now Smile

Hasta ~
Valery
http://www.VenusDivas.com
Quote Reply
Re: [valeryvie] Newbie w/ Template and Columns Questions In reply to
Hi there,

Quote:

I went to:
Database > Links > Properties > Add Column - I added one

Then I clicked on Build > Build Changed

Then > View Static - the new column didn't appear

The field wouldn't just appear. You should see it available for data entry when editing your database though. ie. Browse->Category Name->Link Name->Edit. You should see your new field in that list ready to accept your data. To get the data from the field to appear in your site, you would need to add it to the proper location in the link.html template and/or the detailed.html template(Build->Edit Templates->choose link.html or detailed.html from the dropdown list.

Editing the template is another matter, but since your dangerous, it shouldn't be too much problem. Be sure to read the the help section for the proper syntax. Help is located at the top right corner of the administrative panel. Then go to Templates->Template Syntax. To add the field in to your template, type <%you_will_insert_the_field_name_here%> at the location you want it to appear on the page.

When you've added the field, you can click the link called Dynamic to see how your site will look when you do a Build. When you're ready to Build, you will need to click Build All. Build Change only builds changes that were made to the data in the database, not changes to the templates.

Quote:
Now, Templates...

Since I built my site in Dreamweaver, I am not as adept when looking at html coding - I know enough to be dangerous Pirate How can I make the links SQL look more like my site? Can I built a template page in Dreamweaver and load it over to Links SQL?

This is kind of a difficult question to answer, but simply put: To make it look like your site, you'll have re-code the templates. You will need to familiarize yourself with each of the templates. Learn what the template does, where it's called when viewing the live site, and give yourself time to learn. GT has included some help info at the top of each template. See how GT has done it, and learn by example. Then you'll need to make the necessary coding changes. I re-code a template then I view how it appears by clicking on Dynamic, navigate to the page and see how it looks.

Quote:
Okay, I didn't say so in my subject line, but I have a third question...
How can I disable the ADD A LINK / MODIFY A LINK / RANDOM LINK / LOGIN that appear on each page? Is there also a way to hide the URL underneath the title of the websites in the links area?

You would need to edit the template called include_menu.html. Either comment out the links you don't want or delete them.

The URL field is located in link.html and detailed.html. You'll need to locate and comment out or remove <%URL%>

I hope this helps you get started.

peace.

klangan
Quote Reply
Re: [klangan] Newbie w/ Template and Columns Questions In reply to
Klangan -

Thanks mucho for the info!!!! I just got back into town and will try to execute some of the suggestions.

Hasta - V :-)
Valery
http://www.VenusDivas.com