Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

New table for Author profiles?

Quote Reply
New table for Author profiles?
Hello,

I am using LinksSQL 2.05 as a content management tool. I have added an "Author" colum and have a link that allows folks to search on it. I have done that, but what I'd really like, is to create author biographies as well, and when you click on the Author link, it takes you to a page with a short bio (50 words or so) and a link to see other articles by this author. I'd even like to be able to put the author's picture on this author page. Is this possible? And how would I do it?

Seems like it would mean creating another table.

(I'd like to do the same with photographers and staff, if possible)

Can someone explain if this is possible, and how would I do it?

Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] New table for Author profiles? In reply to
I would suggest setting up separate tables for photographer, author, etc. -- UNLESS there is only ONE "creator" for each link. If so, use the LinkOwner field, and put this information in the Users table.

But, I would really probably create separate tables.

You'd want to put fields in the Link record for author, photographer, etc.

You'd do a simple select to yank out the record for that person when you display the template.

You could use a form of detail_page.cgi or page.cgi to display these pages.

Without knowing the specifics of your database, this is a generic answer. Custom solutions can always be more tailored to your specific needs.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] New table for Author profiles? In reply to
Ok, so I created three seperate tables using MYSQLMAN:

Authors
Photographers
Staff

I thought for sure these tables would then show up in my LinksSQL admin under the "Database" link, where I could modify them and all. I am confused as to what is the next step. Do I have to do all my tweeking of these feilds via MYSQLMAN?

How would I do a "Simple Select"?

Would I add new templates for these fields, lets say a Authors detailed page like Detailed_Author.html and then just change the fields I am calling on it?

How do I tell the system to look for x Author from within an article?

I promise to add this thread to the FAQ if someone helps me to understand how this works. Crazy

Last edited by:

Evoir: Sep 25, 2001, 9:50 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] New table for Author profiles? In reply to
Hi,

Unfortunately it is not that simple and will involve programming to accomplish what you need.

Basically the steps would be:

1. Create the SQL tables.
2. Create .def files for each table (so Links SQL can understand it)
3. Modify db_nav.html in the admin templates and add your new tables to the drop down list.

It's not straight forward I know..

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.