Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Need input and advice!

Quote Reply
Need input and advice!
Hi,

Got a question about the speed it takes to search my database.

What I basicly want to know is. What would suit my site the best?

I have 2000 sites registered in database, with 3000-4000 visitors a day.

I find the searches being performed fairly slow, what could I do to speed it up? Would Speedycgi or mod_perl be an option for me?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: [demon] Need input and advice! In reply to
Yeah, mod_perl or SpeedyCGI would be good. Another option would be to get a dedicated server (I'm assuming you are not on your own one now, as 2000 links should not cause that dramatic slowdown). Have you tried doing a 'Repair Tables' and 'Rebuild Search'....as this may help to speed up the search process.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
What indexing scheme are you currently using?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Need input and advice! In reply to
Thanks for you quick relply!

Since I dont even know what index scheme really is...

I have always left it as "none", thats if you mean the column index?
Quote Reply
Set it to INTERNAL and then reindex your database by clicking "Rebuild Search" and see if that helps.

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 15, 2002, 1:01 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Need input and advice! In reply to
Yes, its a shared server. As you say, there size of my "well trimmed" directory should not slow it down. However the servers I use are good, never down and support is better than good... And they dont offer dedicated servers.

I have tried and often do "repair tables" and "Rebuild Search".

Thanks for your reply!
Quote Reply
Would that be on ALL columns or? Whats the differance? Always like to know what I do... so I learn as I go along. Hopefully doing this would not create any problems... (on my website time and especially downtime is very much money...)
Quote Reply
Database > Links/Properties > Go ....then scroll down and select INTERNAL from the select list at the bottom.

After clicking Rebuild Search Links SQL will index your tables for optimal search times.

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 15, 2002, 1:06 PM
Quote Reply
Thanks! I have now tried it!

AND... it seems to have improved the search time. What about mod_perl etc... I read that its not always worth using, and depending on how many people using the search / cgi at the same time.

Anyway! Thanks! It helped!