Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

NEWBIE - LOST - BUY BOOKS

Quote Reply
NEWBIE - LOST - BUY BOOKS
Hello Forum:

I just moved up from Links 2.0 to Links SQL (http://www.indylinks.com/)

I'm not a programmer, but I've been able to customize lots of cgi/perl scripts (Selena Sol, Matt's Script Archive, etc.), but I'm LOST with Links SQL.

I just spent about two hours trying to decide which books to buy at Amazon. I've looked at MYsql, Mysql and Perl for the Web by Paul DuBois. The back covers were a bit intimidating.

I just want to learn how to use Links SQL 2.1.0 to the point of:

a. being able to add a new page to the template area (something like a page that lists all categories and subcategories -- I'm getting nowhere with trial and error.)

b. being able to import/append additional links from a Links 2.0 type database.

I'm also frustrated because I've only gotten one of the globals from the GT resources area to work (top_cats). Can't even get the Priority Link Mod to work. Not that I'm giving up.

Anybody got any advice on where I should dive in?

I've read and printed out the whole online manual (I've got v. 2.0.5 and I can't find the once for 2.1.0) and most of the help pages embedded in the admin area. I've been to the Mysql web site.

I'm overwhelmed!Frown

Thanks in advance for your help.

April

guider@guider.com

P.S. I've gotten some WONDERFUL help from Paul Wilson . . . but I just can't keep bugging him. I've got learn it myself.
Quote Reply
Re: [aprillougheed] NEWBIE - LOST - BUY BOOKS In reply to
These are the books I've used (in addition to the on-line help you mentioned)

http://thepugdocs.com/cgi-bin/LinkSQL/page.cgi?g=Books___References_I_have_found_useful%2Findex.html&d=1

I've gotten all these over the past 2-3 years. I added a new qMail book and a couple of Linux books to this recently, but it's still the list I turn to when i have a problem.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] NEWBIE - LOST - BUY BOOKS In reply to
Hello PugDog - Thanks for your help. I don't know what I would do without this forum!

I'm still not sure exactly where to start. Here is what I'm trying to do . . . .

Excuse me if I sound dumb . . . I'm not sure I've got all the lingo right . . .

1. If I would want to add a new page to the AV templates called Complete_Catagory_List.html; I would have to make an html file and put it in the cgi-bin/admin/templates/av directory. (I thought I saw something about adding a page to a template set in the admin area, but I'll have to dig it up again.)

Then I would have to define a "global" for the top categories and the subcategories. Right?

BUT THEN . . . What do I do to make the Complete_Catagory_List.html file "parse" when I build?

I guess that is PERL -- so I should get a Perl book to learn about this?

2. Is the <%whatever%> syntax part of Perl or is it native only to GT Links SQL. In other words, if I get a general Perl book, will it teach me about GT Links SQL?

3. I guess I'll try to find the most basic book I can find about mySQL.

4. Do you recommend that I dive into mySQL and PHP or would you say I should avoid PHP until I'm confortable with Perl and mySQL.

Thanks again so much. April

P.S. I have the "manual" for Links SQL 2.0.5 and I'd like to find it for 2.1.0. I had Paul Wilson install 2.1.0 so I don't know if it was in the download or somewhere else on the site. It has the Links SQL logo with the links picture. IT starts with OVERVIEW, ADMIN PANEL, BROWSE and ends with Customizing Links SQL. Do you know where to find it?
A. Lougheed
IndyLinks.com
webmaster@indylinks.com
Quote Reply
BTW - here is a link to a page at Amazon Called:

So you'd like to ... learn how to use MySQL with Perl for the web?

http://www.amazon.com/.../102-6965285-7805729

I thought other newbies like me might be able to use it.

April
A. Lougheed
IndyLinks.com
webmaster@indylinks.com
Quote Reply
My favourite place is the gossamer-threads forum. I also made the jump from links to SQL but I have found that the best source of info is right here and that to date there has been no need to buy any books. Links SQL is very good and everything to do with the program is very easy to do. Just read the manual and when stuck search the forums. At last resort post your problem and the team will come to your aid. IMHO.Smile
Webmaster
http://www.e-bannerx.com

Last edited by:

fulcan: Mar 3, 2002, 6:42 PM
Quote Reply
To add a page to the "build" process, you need to look at nph-build.cgi. You need to tell it that you want it to build another page.

You aren't going to find that in any book on PERL or MySQL.

You need to start tracing out what Links is doing. It's much easier now, that things are modular. You should start by tracing out the .cgi scripts, follow what they do, then move on to looking at the routines in the Links directory. To learn links, you have to study links. Use the perl and mysql books to help you decipher what you can make sense of on your own.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] NEWBIE - LOST - BUY BOOKS In reply to
Dear PugDog:

Thank so much - I've already printed out the "magic" build file and will make it as familiar as the back of my hand!!!

Glad to know where to start.

April
A. Lougheed
IndyLinks.com
webmaster@indylinks.com