Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

MySQL Privileges ?

Quote Reply
MySQL Privileges ?
Hi, a total novice here so bare with me.
I have just got to the stage of running the LINKS SQL SQL Information set up and am getting the following error:

"Error: Could not connect to database. Reason: Access denied for user: 'donald@localhost' (Using password: YES)"

My hosts have definately set up the MYSQL facility and pass and database name are correct. Now from another post I gather that the problem could be the user privilages !?
I have managed to telnet into Mysql on my server
and currently have a Mysql> _ cursor.
Could someone please tell me what I need to key to get rid of the above error (exact syntax please)
I am new to Mysql and now a bit lost.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Re: [Hamilton] MySQL Privileges ? In reply to
Hello,
You need to know your correct username and password port and hostname and you will be able to login. Might be one of the following:
Your hostname may not be localhost, might be ip address or domain name.
Your username may not have the correct permissions.
Mysql is using another port besides 3306
Password is case sensitive. It happened to me not long ago when I found out my shift key wasn't working on my keyboad. Had food in it. Crazy things happen.

Hope this helps.
Smile

Quote Reply
Did you log on to the database with

'donald@localhost'

as your user name, or did you get the Mysql> cursor without entering an ID and PW?

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] MySQL Privileges ? In reply to
No, it did not ask for any User or pass just got the Mysql cursor.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Quote:
I have managed to telnet into Mysql on my server
and currently have a Mysql> _ cursor.

What did you type? If it's just `mysql` then you might be able to get to the cursor, but not to your database. Also, you may have a file in ~/.my.cnf with your username/password hard coded.

Send a message to support-lsql@gossamer-threads.com with shell info and we can take a look if you like.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] MySQL Privileges ? In reply to
Some UNIX systems are set up to allow direct access to the MySQL database, using the UNIX username/password for the currently logged in user.

Or, the servers are located at a different path/device/machine than the telnet log on.

This means the local log on, via telnet and the log on via the web are different, since the virtual server is really located somewhere else. I've hit this problem on several different install systems. This is a real headache trying to install Links via telnet, then getting it to respond via the web

The easiest way to fix it is to ask the ISP how to log into the database from the web, not from telnet. :) If they have the answer, problem solved.

It's usually a different machine name ie: @domain.tld or @database_machine rather than @localhost

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] MySQL Privileges ? In reply to
I'm having this same problem with trying to add columns (and, of course, I'm still getting those errors). When I try to add a column, I get:

Unable to install plugin: 'Unable to add column to Links: Failed to execute query: 'ALTER TABLE links_Links ADD Recommended INT' Reason: Access denied for user: 'rayhne@localhost' to database 'rayhne''
Quote Reply
Re: [rayhne] MySQL Privileges ? In reply to
Hi,

This is something your ISP needs to fix. I don't know why they would give you mysql access, but not access to alter a table. Very strange setup.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I think she doesn't realize I don't have permission to alter the table (if that's the problem). I've mention it a couple times and I know she can add columns but I don't really know what else to do.
Quote Reply
Get her to do:

GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE,CREATE,DROP,ALTER ON your_database.* TO your_username@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'your_password';

Last edited by:

PaulW: Dec 14, 2001, 6:29 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulW] MySQL Privileges ? In reply to
Thank you. Will do.
Quote Reply
Might just want to do:

GRANT ALL ON yourdatabase.* TO yourusername@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'yourpassword'

as otherwise you won't be able to load/export data from text files.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.

Last edited by:

Alex: Dec 14, 2001, 9:56 AM
Quote Reply
gran :)
Quote Reply
Are you connecting from software set up on the ISP's hosted website?
I know that my ISP has a setting to allow access to the database from a remote host. If I don't have that setting turned on, I get that same error.
It was frustrating for a while because I purchased some software for my own computer that can alter tables, etc. much easier. I just couldn't connect with it, but could with Links on the website. Then I discovered this setting. Once it was changed, bingo!