Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Multiple templates

Quote Reply
Multiple templates
I have a few questions about using multiple templates and performance.

I am building a community resource directory for our local private, nonprofit and government agencies. What started out as a simple project for a non-profit has sparked the interest in other agencies as well. I would like to use different template sets for different agencies so everyone could use and share the same information while retaining their own identity. I understand that this is easily done with LinksSQL.

My questions are:
Using dynamic templates I can accomplish this using the template linking method, but can I have LSQL build static pages for multiple template use? Maybe assign a build directory for each set? I am concerned about the bandwidth when using dynamic pages, and building static pages should help, at least I think so??
If the above is not possible maybe using static and dynamic pages? Link to the static pages for the most heavily used site and link to the dynamic templates for the others?
Any insight into this would be helpful.

I am also looking into using the XML plug-in for those sites that just want to access information. I have just discovered this plug-in and not quite sure how it works. I am assuming that a search box is placed on a site and that site can query the DB with the results returned to XML. Is this information then displayed on the referring site or is a template used from the template directory?

This seems like it will turn into a very interesting project, and I am sure I will be using this forum for guidance. Thank you all for being such great help.
Quote Reply
Re: [jgkiefer] Multiple templates In reply to
>>>concerned about the bandwidth when using dynamic pages<<<

This shouldn't make any different Wink

>>>but can I have LSQL build static pages for multiple template use? <<<

I'm not sure this is possible :(

Hope that helps a little :p

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Multiple templates In reply to
I am still stuck on finding the answer to this question.

Can I use the dynamic multiple template system and static pages together? To be more clear- can I build static pages for the main site and use the multiple template system at the same time? Or is it one or the other, but not both?

Seems that using static pages for the main site would be faster, more search engine friendly and decrease server load. Then having the other less busy sites pull dynamic pages through the template system. Does this make sense or am I making it harder that it should be. Sometimes I wonder?

Unimpressed
Quote Reply
Re: [jgkiefer] Multiple templates In reply to
Yes you can.

If I remember it correctly you would use a t= in the link to call the template set. A d= would generate the dynamic link as well.

Maybe someone can give you a better idea on the actual link and how it would look. But I do know that you can use multiple templates using a dynamic link calling the template set of choice.

Cool