Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Multiple email error

Quote Reply
Multiple email error
Whenever we send email to All Links, a number of our recipients are getting multiple copies of the message, even though they are only have one link in the database. It can be seen by looking at the email list prior to sending the message that their address only appears once, but they receive 4 copies of the same email, even though we only sent the message once. Any ideas?

Thank You
Quote Reply
Re: [aimcmc] Multiple email error In reply to
To follow up, we've learned that most everyone on our list received 2 copies of the email, with a few of them receiving 4 copies. This is very strange. Please shed any light, if you can.

Thank You
Quote Reply
Does anyone from the Gossamer support team read these messages? There has been no response to my request for help. If they do not read the messages, can someone advise me as to the best way to get support. This email problem is causing some of our clients to become very unhappy. Please help.
Quote Reply
Are you refering to mass mailing of link owners, or newsletter? If it is the link owners, it could be because they have their email address listed under several sites, or possibly under several different users...may be an idea to check it out....

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Multiple email error In reply to
<<Are you refering to mass mailing of link owners, or newsletter? If it is the link owners, it could be because they have their email address listed under several sites, or possibly under several different users...may be an idea to check it out....>>

I am referring to the mass mailing of link owners. And we've checked over and over again, they are only listed one time. If they had double entries, we didn't enter their name or address twice. The marjority of the links are for individuals with only one listing. Because we strated getting complaints, we sent out another email to the list and asked them to respond if they were getting multiples. Most everyone that responsed said they were getting two copies, a few said they got 4 copies. The multiple messages are received seconds after each other.

When the messages are mailed, the system displays the number of emails that were suppose to be mailed, and it matches the number of address in the list. So, it's sending to the right people and the right number of people, just sending too many copies to each.

Ron
Quote Reply
I stand corrected. We've looked closer and we do find that a few email addresses from the links are duplicates. These are the ones that have received 4 emails rather than 1. This makes sense and shows that all of the people are receiving exactly double the number of messages they are suppose to receive.

So, now the question is: Why does everyone receives twice the number of emails that they are suppose to get? What's wrong? How can we fix it?

Ron
Quote Reply
Does it do it on any other CGI script you have installed? It sounds more like a problem with the mail protocol you are using, than Links itself....

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Does it do it on any other CGI script you have installed? It sounds more like a problem with the mail protocol you are using, than Links itself....

No, we don't have other problems, but I just thought of something. Although we don't have multiple emails for multiple links, we do have the same link copied in multiple locations. Although, the email address does NOT show up multiple times in the list that it will be mailing to. I wonder would the fact that the same link showed up in multiple locations have anything to do with this problem? And if so, I wonder again, why wouldn't the list of email addresses that the message is being sent to, reflect that?

In any case, we've decided not to use the feature. We have switched to another method. So, I guess it's all a mute point now.

Thanks for your help.

Ron
Quote Reply
Mmm...that could be the case. Are the links 'copied' (i.e by an editor), or actually multiple categories selected via the admin panel?

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Multiple categories selected via the admin panel.

It's a yellow page application where a business may appear in several categories. We put them in one category and copy to others using the admin panel.

For the fun of it, I was thinking of toying with setting up a separate list rather than using the ALL LINKS selection and see what happens. My guess is that if All Links sends multiple messages based on the number of actual links, rather than just the email addresses that are selected, then so will all the rest of the mailing options. Not sure if it's worth wasting our time testing, or it's just as easy to set up a separate database that is downloaded from the original list, which is what we are now doing. It only takes a few extra minutes with a result of happier clients. So we probably may not invest the time, unless someone can supply a definite answer of how this stuff works. Would be nice to hear from the Gossamer support team, I would assume someone there would know something. Guess they are too busy. In any case, Andy, your assistance has been helpful. Thank You.