Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Multiple Languages - Can All Data Be In Multiple Languages, too?

Quote Reply
Multiple Languages - Can All Data Be In Multiple Languages, too?
Hi All

I know that I can use different template sets to offer multiple languages for the navigation, error messages, etc.

But, my concern is with offering the data in multiple languages.

Is there something available to do good real-time translations of the data that can coordinate with the language template sets?

Thanks very much. Happy Holidays!

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Multiple Languages - Can All Data Be In Multiple Languages, too? In reply to
Hi,

We haven't yet used any automated translation software, but generally the consensus is that they do not produce quality translations. If you want to offer other languages your best bet is to get a translator to do the translation.

You can add custom fields like Description_English, Description_French, etc and then have different templates that only display the appropriate fields.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Multiple Languages - Can All Data Be In Multiple Languages, too? In reply to
Many thanks, Alex, and Happy Holidays !!

Yeah, I think what we're going to do is create the top categories as languages, and then add the item categories below them. Then, each manager in need of different languages will be responsible for doing their own translations. I'll add them as editors of their section. So, for example, the site will start with English, Dutch, French, and German, and will later include a bunch more. The manager of our division in France will be responsible for doing the French, and he/she can add it all through the editor's admin screen. Perhaps I'll add it using MySQLman.

Thanks, again

------------------------------------------