Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Manipulating Records

Quote Reply
Manipulating Records
What’s the best way to set up tables so that you can manipulate data embedded in the links sql records?

For example, say if I had a business report, with a table in it, and I want to make a chart from table using GD:Graph. Sure, I could add another field for the spreadsheet. But then this would necessitate adding a new field for every new spreadsheet, which isn't really efficient, as I also want to manipulate other things in the data, and add such things as images in arbitary positions from sql fields.

I was thinking about dumping all of the main data in a single field (like the business report, charts or whatever stuff goes in there) and then using xml to manipulate it and pull it out, or at least parse it. Is this viable, and if so, how would you recommend approaching it?

Other possibilities include adding a new table called called/for "subsections", a child table. Then, when I click a record/link, this pulls up all the subsections that comprise that record/link.

So>>>

LINK ID#221 - Business Report

--->
Subsections table

LinkID#4334
ParentLink #221
Data: Table in usable GD:Graph format, that can also be converted into a table.

LinkID#4335
ParentLink #221
Data: Business article or whatever.

LinkID#4245
ParentLink #221
Data: Binary Image of Company Chief / bunny rabbit / Chilean Llama Farmer.

Anyone have any ideas on which is the best option or how to approach this? :)

Any advice would be very much appreciated, as my programming is lame.

Quote Reply
Re: Manipulating Records In reply to
How about EXPORTING the complete RECORD into an EXCEL spreadsheet?

There is an EXPORT EXCEL mod for DBMAN 2.04 that you may be able to hack...

Or you could play around with using the correct CONTENT/TYPE ($in->header()) command.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Re: Manipulating Records In reply to
Thanks for your help. I'm sorry for making myself unclear.

I don't wish to export to excel.
What I would like to be able to do is to enter the data into mysql in such a way as to faciliate its easy manipulation.

I could just enter the article/report into a single field as html. But that's inflexible. I want to be able to have tables in it, produce graphs from these tables in it, insert images into it at arbitary positions, and indentify the various types of data within it, but I don't know how.

Either adding a child-table to the links table, or formatting the data in xml might provide a solution. Which blend of these is right, and if so, how do i go about it?

(I would have thought that this info would very useful to most users. It would enable them to create a comprehensive posting system with the flexibility to manage and upgrade their posts in an efficient manner).

I hope I've made myself more clear. (sorry!). thanks in advance.