Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Mailing Lists Questions

Quote Reply
Mailing Lists Questions
Having made the upgrade from Links2.0 I used the All Links Mailing List to tell everyone. One guy received my mail over 2,400 times since Links had taken his email address for no apparent reason and assigned it to all the links without a proper address. Why did the mailing not stop multiple mails going out to the same address as it does in Links 2.0 with the Link Owners List?

How do users unsubscribe from the All Users Mailing List yet still stay on the Newsletter? Or the other way round? There seems to be only one subscribe / unsubscribe routine for both Lists which is not very convenient if you want to maintain both as separate lists.

On another note re importing data from 2.0 to SQL... all my link owners now have their email address as the link owner. This causes problems as when they try to register the system tells them their email address is already taken. Can I produce a mass mailing to all link owners (just once!) telling them what their user name and password is? I'm not sure what the tags are.

Links is a brilliant programme, I couldn't have had one custom designed that does the job better, but I'm afraid the upgrade from 2.0 to SQL is not as seamless as is sometimes suggested. Importing the templates was a pain since the tags are different to 2.0 and the Mailing List problems have been a nightmare. I had to give the 2,400 emails guy some free ad space just to calm him down!

Thanks

Quote Reply
Re: Mailing Lists Questions In reply to
I take it there's just no answer then.

Thanks anyway

Quote Reply
How come no-one answered this guy's question? It seems like a valid question. I am trying to send out a mass-mail to 1008 users but it seems to be waiting a long time and then tells me it only sent one! How do I increase the time-out length? Alex should create a staggered email.

JeffB

Quote Reply
Hi,

I'm not sure what happened in the previous case. As for emailings, you can run the script from telnet if you are having browser time out problems:

./nph-email.cgi mailing_id

where mailing_id is the mailing you want to send.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.