Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

List of a user's bookmarks / folders

Quote Reply
List of a user's bookmarks / folders
Hi,

Is it possible to list a user's bookmarks that are publicly available ?

I was also wondering whether it was possible to create a list of all users' publicly available folders of bookmarks ?

Thanks
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] List of a user's bookmarks / folders In reply to
Hi

I would like to know the answer to this as well, Thanks!

Steve
Quote Reply
Click on the "User List" link under Bookmarks?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] List of a user's bookmarks / folders In reply to
Hey Adrian

As easy as that ;-) he says embarrassingly. Me dumb! Thanks!

I think the bookmark feature within Links SQL are so cool.

A new question: What I would like to do is track how many hits each users folder of bookmarks gets, and somehow show this info to visitors, so they can see who has "great taste" in building up cool sets of bookmarks. It would help with traffic volumes and perhaps encourage others to develop their own appealing sets of bookmarks?

Any help you can suggest would be very welcome - thanks!

Steve

PS. Do you know of any resources/links that gives me more ifo on how to use bookmarks. I found around 70 by searching in forum. But wondered if there were others outside the forum?
Quote Reply
Hi,
I kinda fell asleep on this one, but this is not actually what I was looking for.

I have a template for displaying links details on one line ; Title Category LinkOwner Date posted. This way I can display for example the last ten links added.
In the same way I would like to display on one line per link the links that a person has bookmarked. Using the "user list" function from the bookmark script displays the links themselves the way I have coded it which takes up a lot of room.

Is there a way to use the "user_list" function and pass in a different template name so that I can display per line the details of the bookmarked links ?

Thanks,

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Sorry Jag, I'm not quite sure what you're asking here...

Adrian
Quote Reply
OK,

I have globals that allow me to list the last ten links say. The global pulls a template to display the links details and not link.html.
Hence I would have something like :

Code:
Title Author Category Date
Travelocity J Garner Travel 25 Sep 05
etc.

I would also like to pull the bookmarks and not use link.html or bookmark_link.html to display the bookmark but a template that displays the details of the bookmarks one per line as above for links...

My question was, since I still would like to use the bookmark.cgi script the way it is supposed to used, can I indicate via a tag or some other way to the user_list function of the bookmark.cgi script to use a custom template to display the details as explained above rather than bookmark_link.html . And as stated I would also like to use the user_list function normally through the bookmark.cgi script.

Hope this was clear ;)

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
No, the code doesn't allow you to call it directly since it prints out the template. However, the code's pretty short, so it'd be easy to copy it into a global.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian,

Just looking at the code I'm thinking it will be a bit more complicated than that even if I were a Perl wiz like you.

First of all from a functional point of view, there may be more than one folder and I don't want to be displaying all folders combined just the default folder and only if it is publicly available.

This way someone that wants there list of links to be displayed will know that only the default folder will be displayed and the site limit of links per folder will limit the number of links displayed.

Defining which folder is the default and if it is publicly available seems to me to be pretty complicated. Then looking at bookmark_folder_view.html I'm not quite sure which part or parts of the Bookmark.pm are used to display the bookmarks in the user's folder.

I'm guessing that most of what I need is in sub folder_view but I'm not sure that there is a restriction on the default folder, and that restricting it to the default folder would need to be defined prior to using this sub routine. The code seems to check whether the folder is publicly available or not but it relies upon the fact that the folder has been clicked on selected, whereas in my case I'd need to define which folder is to be displayed if there are more than one folder.

Seems to be a pretty complicated task though !
Significant Media

Last edited by:

Jag: Oct 11, 2005, 9:46 PM