Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Links Architecture - 4 into 1?

Quote Reply
Links Architecture - 4 into 1?
I'm really after advice as to the best way to go with this;

I want to have four broad areas on my new site;

1) Conventional Links directory (with some extra fields for contact details etc) and added plugins like Myfaves etc
2) Glossary Definition Area (uses Links but with some extra fields, and content is generated mainly by me only)
3) Cad Download Area (I want to use Links again, but with the shopping cart plugin to allow some Cad files to be downloaded on purchase)
4) Forum (using Gossamer Forum)

This is quite ambitous for me, but I would like all four areas to use a common registration system, which obviously would be community.

Should I try and make one custom install of LinksSQL which combines all of areas 1,2 & 3 (using one set of templates but with loads of if's, else's etc etc)?

or install LinksSQL three times and try and just make the templates look similar (although on the same domain does this have licensing issues?). Would I then get too confused when it came to all of the admin?

Any help is appreciated before I start down the long road!!

Best wishes,
Piers
Quote Reply
Re: [Piers1] Links Architecture - 4 into 1? In reply to
I would personally go with one copy. Then for something like the category, add a new dropdown box, with your 4 options. Then when creating categories, select one of those. Then in ytour category.html template, you could use something like;

<%if category_type eq "glossary"%>
<%include glossary_cat.html%>
<%elsif category_type eq "download"%>
<%include download_cat.html%>
<%else%>
<%include other_cat.html%>
<%else%>

Thats just an idea to get you on the right tracks Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Links Architecture - 4 into 1? In reply to
Thanks Andy,

I think thats a good idea. I would rather try and work with just one installation. Do you think I'd run into problems using lots of different plugins? i.e. Shopping cart, etc etc
Quote Reply
The best way to work out if you will have any problems, is to actually do it.... Wink I wouldn't really know if any of them interfere with each other, sorry.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Links Architecture - 4 into 1? In reply to
Thanks,
I'll get stuck in and see how far I get......
Piers

Last edited by:

Piers1: Mar 11, 2003, 9:33 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

I have a similar issue - but I went with multiple installations of Links (4 actually)

The advantage of having several installations is that you can seperate content (ie if two sections have very little in common) .

You might also have some issues with lots of fields - making it messy for editors, users and yourself..

Anyway - that is just my observation... if you go down the multiple installation route - please note that you need to pay a license fee for each installation.

Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com