Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Lateral thinking on import/creation needed

Quote Reply
Lateral thinking on import/creation needed
Hi,

I'm going to take the plunge into Links SQL very soon. However, I have lots and lots of data to import and structure: About 3000 word/html/pdf/lwp/whatever documents, each around 2000 words long.

I'd like to get it right first time so i don't have to make amendments, duplicate effort or lose data. So, a few questions that need a bit of thinking are:

1)What is the best way to import the data into a database? I need to insert pictures as well as the converted html from the documents. I'd prefer to have everything [including imgs] within the database. Would Pugdog's mod help? I would like to be able to put the pictures in the right places rather than in random places. (e.g. as in a word document, where an illustration follows the explanation, rather than having full text, then a list of images).

2)What is the best way to structure the database? Each file (i.e. the data inside the file) will need to go into one of seven categories, each requiring a different template, and have different fields to other links. So, is it best to keep the links table and have many redundant fields, or have multiple tables for each link type?

3) Each category will like to include some of the information from another category, and when the user views a link inside a category, he also needs to be able to view on a sidebar (like webmonkey) the other links in the category. Is there an easy way, such as an sql query to list the links in an arbitary subcategory?

Sorry if this sounds confusing. Hopefully I can structure it correctly and then finally give something back to this forum somehow if i spend enough time learning about the mechanics of this evidently classy program.

Quote Reply
Re: Lateral thinking on import/creation needed In reply to
1) For the WORD documents, save them as txt files and then import the files. Yes, pugdog's mod can also be used to attach files to records, although it does not allow for batch upgrades from previous LINKS applications.

2) I would recommend simply using the FILE UPLOAD MOD that pugdog created and then you can add the LINKS into various categories. Also, the newest version does support multiple category templates, so each category can have its own template.

3) Hack the subcatgory.html file to show links in a vertical listing rather than a horizontal table listing.

3) This could be done through code hack or formal plug-in. Basically, what you will need to do is query the CATEGORY RELATIONS table by the main categoryID and then pull data from the CATEGORY table. Best to write this as a formal plug-in, so that changes will preserve over future upgrades.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Re: Lateral thinking on import/creation needed In reply to
Thank you!