Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Is there an easy way to add more fields to glinks 3.0.4?

Quote Reply
Is there an easy way to add more fields to glinks 3.0.4?
I seem to remember that there was a somewhat easy way to add extra fields to the database in links 2.0 sql with the admin panel, but now in 3.x I can't find it anywhere. I need to add a couple more fields so that more information can be attained from the user.

Also Imlooking for an uploader to incorporate into glinks 3.0.4 that will allow people to upload files to my server into a directory that will work with glinks 3.0.4 (preferably inexpensive), Im really poor after my recent auto accident (my fault), totaled car with only liability, so I spent my life savings buying a used car, not that it's anyone elses problem nor why IM writing it down here.
Quote Reply
Re: [aph] Is there an easy way to add more fields to glinks 3.0.4? In reply to
You can do this in the admin => Database => select table and select Properties and Go (on the left) => Add Column (at the bottom)

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Is there an easy way to add more fields to glinks 3.0.4? In reply to
There is no table selection, just category, links, users, and reviews, and no table properties in the Tools section of the database page nor the repair box. I think that was the way it was done in 2.x, did they drop it from 3.0.4?

Edited, it's under database, link, or user, or review or category, properties that allow you to do this.

Last edited by:

aph: Jan 3, 2006, 4:22 PM
Quote Reply
Okay, now I've created a field of file upload, but how do I get it to show up as a text box with the browse button when they are adding the uploaded file? the column name is Downloads, Im not sure what template this would go into either, I would think add something template.

Last edited by:

aph: Jan 3, 2006, 4:21 PM
Quote Reply
Hi,

Something like this in include_form.html should do the trick;

Code:
<div class="row clear">
<label for="Downloads" class="name">Downloads:</label>
<div class="value">
<input type="file" name="Downloads" class="text">
</div>
</div>

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Is there an easy way to add more fields to glinks 3.0.4? In reply to
In Reply To:
Hi,

Something like this in include_form.html should do the trick;

Code:
<div class="row clear">
<label for="Downloads" class="name">Downloads:</label>
<div class="value">
<input type="file" name="Downloads" class="text">
</div>
</div>

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Thanks, that puts a form to upload a program, but it never arrives like it doeswhen I do it from the admin panel. In the admin panel, it works fine and the file goes into the downloads directory, when I try it from the add.cgi form it I assume uploads but then just disappears and doesnt go into the downloads directory.
Quote Reply
Does your <form> part look like this in add.cgi?

<form action="<%db_cgi_url%>/add.cgi" enctype="multipart/form-data" method="POST">

The important part is enctype="multipart/form-data", as this tells the browser to upload the file, rather than just sending the value. It definatly works, as I use it all the time =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Yes it looks just like that.

Last edited by:

aph: Jan 4, 2006, 6:27 AM
Quote Reply
Sorry, that made no sense to me Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
when a user uploads a file, how does the server know where to put it, and what linking coule I AUTOMATICALLY PUT IN MY TEMPLATES SO THAT people can click to download directly?
Quote Reply
Any clues to this one, is the file held in the database and if so what would the field have to be, like a blob or something?
Quote Reply

<a href="<%db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%>&view=MyUploadColumn">

Also check this thread:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=154513#154513

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Is there an easy way to add more fields to glinks 3.0.4? In reply to
Thanks when I put that in there I get:

http://www.mydomain.com/jump.cgi?ID=15&view=Downloads;d=1 That takes them to a page that says ERROR oops unknown file request.

In my detailed template I put
<a href="<%db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%>&view=Downloads">
because the column in my links database is named Downloads for files.

I'll go read the thread you suggested, maybe it will knock some sence into me.

By the way in add.cgi it states:

<form action="<%db_cgi_url%>/add.cgi" enctype="multipart/form-data" method="POST"> So I believe it's correct there. BUt after adding the form to the include_form template it shows up on the addd a link page, and it seems to take long enough for the file size IM uploading but when I look in the directory that I specified for it to go into, theres nothing in there. So i'ts like the glinks is just dumping the file and not storing it.

Last edited by:

aph: Jan 10, 2006, 12:14 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

You have & and ; used as a seperator ;)

http://www.mydomain.com/jump.cgi?ID=15&view=Downloads;d=1

Try this;

Code:
<a href="<%db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%>;view=Downloads">

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk