Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Is there a really easy way to prevent reviews in a certain category?

Quote Reply
Is there a really easy way to prevent reviews in a certain category?
I have an editors choice awards category, and I dont want users to be able to put reviews in there, only allow editors and admins to use the review function in that category. I want registered users to be able to use the review option in the rest of the categories. Maybe just something simple, that is on the link or detail template that says something basic like:
if category eq editors_choice and registered user is not equal to admin or an Editor, then dont show the option on the page for them to have the link to post a review...... Would something like that even work if written correctly in the templates?

Maybe I have to put another column in the links column called editor_review_okay, and manually put a 1 in it through phpmyadmin for the admin and any editors, then use something simpler like if editor_review_okay eq 1 then show Review it else show nothing in it's place.

Anyone willing to help me out if this is possible to write the ifs and elses etc and tell me where to insert it?

Or maybe this is already built into the program and I have overlooked it. The only thing I could find was that a user had to be registered to post a review, Im just trying to avoid any extra work if someone decides to post a review in the editor choice awards category, then have to delete it, or just leave it unapproved.

Thanks so far for all the help, this forum is just as helpfull today as it was back in the days of links sql.

P.S.
This would also open up the door for me to make it easier to try and sell categories and placement of them using the old <!A1>Category Name, <!B3>Category Name to software companies that want their own category for more exposure, if I could restrict who can review in what category. Using <!A1> for those that dont know wont show up in the category name on the page, but will allow you to place up to 234 categories in the order you want them using A1-A9 through Z1-Z9, just for those that didnt know this little cheat/hack So you could sell a company their own category in spot A1 for $xx.xx or maybe sell all A1-A9 for $xx.xx and B1-B9 for $xx.xx or lease them even per month. Anyway, this paragraph is just a helpfull tip for those that didnt realize you could do that.
Quote Reply
Re: [aph] Is there a really easy way to prevent reviews in a certain category? In reply to
So as not to clutter the upper post and make it any more confusing then it already is. Maybe it would be even simpler, to write an if type statement that says, if user is either registered or not dont show review it link, else do show it in category editors_choice.

But that brings me to another problem maybe..... Im using yahoo cats, so if I have an editor choice link yahoo linked from another category, if they wrote a review in there it would probably show up in the category I dont want it in. But I guess I could just duplicate it or move it completly to the editors choice category to prevent that.