Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Installing on OS X 10.4.2 - mysql problems

Quote Reply
Installing on OS X 10.4.2 - mysql problems
Hello!

I'm trying to install links (old version I think 2.1.2) on an Xserve running OS X Server 10.4.2.

mysql -V gives me... mysql Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.10a, for apple-darwin8.0 (powerpc)

I have set a root password and can connect from the command line no problem.

But when I get to the web setup stage and click to create the tables etc, I am returned the following error and nothing is done:

Error: Could not connect to database. Reason:

As you can see... there's no reason actually given.

Can anyone help out with what's going on?

Regan
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Installing on OS X 10.4.2 - mysql problems In reply to
If I remember correctly, not showing the error was a bug in the earlier installers. Is there a reason why you're using 2.1.2 instead of a newer release?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Installing on OS X 10.4.2 - mysql problems In reply to
2.1.2 was just the file I already had downloaded (and installed) so I was just using it to troubleshoot my problem.

I downloaded the new version and tried that but have run into this...

> Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/mysql/mysql.sock' (13)

I checked permissions on mysql.sock and the standard apple install gives them mysql:admin. I tried changing them to mysql:www and mysql:mysql and mysql:nobody but it still gives the same error.

Mysql was started using the MySql Manager tool that comes with OS X as recommended.

Any ideas?

Regan
Quote Reply
What are the access permissions on the file (not the user perms)?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian

srwxrwxrwx 1 mysql admin 0 Sep 28 08:47 mysql.sock

If it's any help the folder that mysql.sock is sitting in has permissions:

drwxrwx--- 11 mysql admin 374 Sep 28 08:49 mysql

Regan

Last edited by:

ryel01: Sep 27, 2005, 3:22 PM
Quote Reply
Sorry, but I'm out of ideas. However, there's a ton of different things which could be causing the problem (wrong socket file, mysql configuration, etc).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi Adrian

It appears to be right socket for mysql - if I stop it this one dissappears, then restart it appears again... so that's one thing right.

Any ideas on what I should be looking for - I can connect to mysql via the command line no problem at all so it seems to be running ok? How to do you test the configuration?

Off to the mysql web site...

r
Quote Reply

I've managed to get it to work - but I don't really understand "why" it's working...

In the MySql Manager ap. I checked "Allow Network Connections", and then in the host section of the glinks installer I entered "127.0.0.1"

If I enter "localhost" in there it wont work, only that ip. Do you know what's going on there?

Regan
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
In the MySql Manager ap. I checked "Allow Network Connections", and then in the host section of the glinks installer I entered "127.0.0.1"

After talking with another xserve owner this is apparently the way os x works! So that's the final solution in case anyone else runs into the same thing.

Regan