Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Inport of Data From Different Servers

Quote Reply
Inport of Data From Different Servers
We have a links sql 1.11 install on our old server. Due to some issues we are trying to move away from that server to a new one.

The old server is currently the live/production server so it is online while I am setting up the new server.

The new server has the newest SQL version of links on it...

I have tried simply moving the backup folder or the def folder from the 1.11 to the new server and importing it using the options.

When I try to import from the backup, it seems to work, but no data transmitted. (I rebuilt everything).

When I try to import from the /defs folder I get an error that the Category DB cannot be opened...I am assuming this is because I have no moved the MySQL database from the old server to the new server...

What is the best/easiest way to do a 1.11-2.05 upgrade between different servers?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [Manu Narayan] Inport of Data From Different Servers In reply to
Hi,

The best thing to do is to copy the old Links SQL 1 to the new server, and to copy the database over as well. Then you can run the import from the new Links SQL 2 and it will import everything.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Inport of Data From Different Servers In reply to
I am not that familiar with MySQL as most of the work I've done with it has been through GUIs...

Could you help me with what the command is to export a database? And the command to import?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Hi,

To export:

mysqldump --add-drop-table -uUSER -pPASS DATABASE > backup.txt

Copy backup.txt to the new server, and then run:

mysql -uUSER -pPASS DATABASE < backup.txt

and it will import the database. Replace USER, PASS and DATABASE with your username, password and database name (note, no spaces between -u and USER).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hello!

Anathor option is to use a marrvellous script from below:

http://phpmyadmin.sourceforge.net/

The disadvantage of MysqlMan is that if your database is on anathor server then it does not connect to it as in my case. It misses out the database server name. And there is no way to enter into the configuration easily until you are very much aware of programming codes.

PhpMyadmin offers many different possibilities to manage the database as an administrator not only for exports and imports but also very good graphical overview. With it you will be able to most of the things what you need to do via telnet.
Quote Reply
Re: [rajani] Inport of Data From Different Servers In reply to
>>
The disadvantage of MysqlMan is that if your database is on anathor server then it does not connect to it as in my case.
<<

Sorry you are incorrect. I have used it personally to connect to a remote mysql server without problems. If you are having problems it is likely that mysql isn't configured to allow remote access.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Inport of Data From Different Servers In reply to
hmm, I log in as root...

In /usr/local/bin are the mysql files...

There is a file called msqdump but when I run it I get an error...

bash2: mysqldump: command not found

Any ideas?
Quote Reply
I fixed the issue I was having regarding the MySQL dump...

Now I just need to install v1.11 and then import it to v2.05.

Is 1.11 available for download in an archive section?

Thanks

Manu Narayan
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Inport of Data From Different Servers In reply to
In Reply To:
>>
The disadvantage of MysqlMan is that if your database is on anathor server then it does not connect to it as in my case.
<<

Sorry you are incorrect. I have used it personally to connect to a remote mysql server without problems. If you are having problems it is likely that mysql isn't configured to allow remote access.

I was not willing to invest more time on it and hence did not discuss. If it is configured for remote access, I do not know.

All I know is what PhpmyAdmin could do on the server, on the same server MysqlMan cannot.
Quote Reply
I would like to thank everyone for their help.

Last night I got v1.11 up and running and was successfully albe to import into v2.05

Thanks again for all of the responses.