Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Incoming Links

Quote Reply
Incoming Links
Because there are thousands of links in my directory, it was suggested that a default "incoming" category be created so that users would not have to scroll forever to find the appropriate category for their web sites.

However, when I go to approve links, it takes forever for links in queue to show up and subsequently, takes the fun out of validating links.
Is it possible to make users submit to the deepest category that's suitable to their content like DMOZ does? It would save me from guessing where to place links as well as from scrolling ad infinitum.

Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: [galfriday] Incoming Links In reply to
If I get correctly in Build options, the db_gen_category_list option is the one what you would need.
Set to NO. This will make LSQL not to generate long drop down lists.
Also the users have to go into a category, then click Add link, to add their links into that category.

Not sure if this is your problem. If not, please specify what you would want to do.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Incoming Links In reply to
Hi webmaster33,

that sounds like it maybe right. I'm looking in Build Options right now.

Hmm... Would I need:
build_use_backup --Generate a category list. If you have a long set of categories, set this to No so that you don't get very large drop down lists.

OR

db_gen_category_list - A list of fields that will be set when a user adds a record. It will override anything the user puts in.

Thanks...
Quote Reply
You missed something...
Each option has the description above it, not below. Chack agaig. Correct your post to match this fact.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
...also, when the changes are made would I need to Build All Tongue or can I just build Changed Smile
Quote Reply
You are absolutely right! That was rather confusing because I expect to see bold text followed by a description. I'll leave the post as is so that your response does not appear to be incorrect. I'll post the right description here. Im sorry...

db_gen_category_list Generate a category list. If you have a long set of categories, set this to No so that you don't get very large drop down lists.

BTW, are you in Budapest?

Smile

ooops!

Last edited by:

galfriday: Jan 17, 2003, 9:11 AM
Quote Reply
Glad it helped.
Usually Build Changed should be enough once a Build All was done.

BTW: Almost. Yes, in Hungary. Close to Budapest Wink Do you know it?
Where are you from?

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
k.. will build changed and see how that works.

Hogy Vogy! (spelling?) unfortunately, I've not been to Hungary -- yet... It's such a beautiful country.

I live in Los Angeles but my sister lived there for seven years and speaks perfect Magyar. She left about 10 years ago. One of her teachers became like an adopted mother to her so she went back to visit last year.
Her teacher will be visiting L.A this summer.

Also, my best friend, Tomas Mack is from there. My sister says, "ish tenem!" (spelling) all the time.Tongue

Anyhow, enough boring personal stuff. :)

Thank you kindly...
Quote Reply
Thanks your kind Hungarian words! They always sounds kindly from overseas... Really.
Let we continue through private messages. I would not want further be offtopic Smile

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Hmm... didn't quite work. Now the only category I have to move new links into is "incoming"

Also, "add a link" still shows only the "incoming" category.

Any suggestions?

I can PM admin info if you'd like to take a look :)