Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Importing Links - Without Deleting Previous Entries

Quote Reply
Importing Links - Without Deleting Previous Entries
Is it possible to import links into LSQL without deleting the previous entries. I tried importing links before and I was successful but for some reason the old entries were erased.

Thank You
James
Quote Reply
Re: [jimmyfive] Importing Links - Without Deleting Previous Entries In reply to
Hi,

I believe this is a feature.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
You should be able to use Links: Links Table Editor >> Import Data to import additional links but I've never used it.

Regards,
Peter Puglisi
www.ausfreedom.com
Ultimate Freedom is our game.
Quote Reply
You should be able to import data. Just make sure you don't "drop tables" or "clean tables" or otherwise erase your existing data. "Overwrite" is a tricky word. That *should* only overwite an existing ID with updated data, but it *sometimes* is a euphanism for "drop tables".

So, actually, you can import, but can you do it through any existing button, or link in the system, I'm not sure.

I've always done it manually.

If the ID field is left blank, links should generate a new ID, on the autoincrement field.

One option high on my still to-do-list is to take the DMOZ import, and AllPosters type imports we have, and make them slightly more intelligent, checking to see if the link (URL) exists, if the description is the same, and if so, ignore the link. If the description is different use a reasonable algorithm to decide to ignore, update, or submit a "modify" request.

This is part of that larger "Nexus Links" idea, but time, as always, is the silent killer of all good ideas.

I've wanted to import Dmoz "updates" into my sites, leaving the existing data intact.

BTW: I posted a rant about the quality of DMOZ data, and such awhile back, before Christmas, and I stand by it. It's a politically rigged system, and I have absolute proof. While some directories use it's data, most do major enhancements. They may start with dmoz as a seed, or even overwrite dmoz data on top of the computer generated tags they find, but they in no way use dmoz exclusively. This is why I want to set up the "Nexus Links" idea, for all Links SQL webmasters, to draw upon a more valid resource, that lists all the sites DMOZ refuses to list, and create a *better* human-overseen directory. So, this ability to update, and ignore existing data, is something very important. It's coming, sometime this year, but when?? I can't say. There are still a dozen things 99% ready that have to be released first.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.