Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Import from pipe delimited files

Quote Reply
Import from pipe delimited files
Hi All,

I've gone through the forums and could not find the answer to what I'm sure is a pretty basic question.

I have Linqs SQL and 2 files, one for URLs one for categories.

The category file has this format:

293|Languedoc-Roussillon/Gard/Business_and_Economy||||||

in other words: ID|Name|||||

The URLs file has this format:

2250|Atelier des Mousselieres|http://www.mousselieres.com/|12-Sep-2003|Languedoc-Roussillon/Gard/Business_and_Economy|Tile-makers of Provence tiles. Terra-cotta, natural or enameled, and marble, reconstituted stone, enameled lava. Presents product line, techniques, region. Les Angles (Gard). ||webmaster@mousselieres.com|0|Yes|No|0|0|Yes

I've tried to use mysqlman to do the import, but it seems to do a straight import and what is needed, if I understand correctly, is to build the categories so that this category would be the child of "Languedoc-Roussillon/Gard/" which itself would be the child of parent category "Languedoc-Roussillon"...

So here's the question: does the sql2 import does that (ie create the parent/child relationship) or do I have do something else? Obviously, I don't want to do it manually ;-(

Thanks for any help you can share.

Thanks,

Max
Quote Reply
Re: [maxitel] Import from pipe delimited files In reply to
Are these Links 2 .db files? If so, you can do it from Import/Export. The Links2 installation needs to be on the same server though (you have to point it to you Links2 admin folder).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Import from pipe delimited files In reply to
Thanks, Andy,

These are just text files. How would they differ from links 2 db files?

I should have added that this is a clean install, there's nothing in the links db as of now.

Thanks for helping me!

Max
Quote Reply
Re: [maxitel] Import from pipe delimited files In reply to
Very odd... where did you get these text files? They look almost the same as Links 2 database files Unsure

I've never actually imported pipe delimited files before...I normally just write a custom script to do it for me (go through the category file, and add the categories, and then go through the links file, and add those according to the category ID's added before). Not sure there is a direct method to import from text delimited files, unless they are Links 2 files :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!