Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Import Error

Quote Reply
Import Error
Hi everyone. I read some posts from the past and saw that there have been some issues with the "category.def" file when importing. I am getting an error that I haven't seen on the board yet though:

Import error: CRITICAL ERROR OCCURED: Cannot open /home/links/mysite.com/cgi-bin/links/admin/defs/category.def: No such file or directory at /home/links/mysite2.com/cgi-bin/links/admin/Links/Import/L2S2.pm line 82

Does anyone know what is causing this error?

TIA! Wink

Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster26] Import Error In reply to
One of the experts could answer this better than me, but if I saw this error I would:
  • Check to see that the .def file still exists on my server
  • Go to category>properties and "resync" my database
  • Repair tables perhaps

I have you made a backup before you did the import!Shocked

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Are you running in Windows? If so, try this:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...;;page=unread#unread

If not, I think you can rebuild your .def files by going to Setup>SQL Server in the admin console. There is an option that reads:

Load table info from an existing set of tables (or resync the def files if you have changed your defs manually).

I believe I have tried this one time, and it rebuilt my .def files. Make sure you back EVERYTHING up before attempting...

Hope that helps,
Sean

Last edited by:

SeanP: Jun 4, 2002, 9:12 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [SeanP] Import Error In reply to
Hmm, thanks for your replies although I still get the error. Let me walk you through what I am doing and maybe you can spot something I am doing wrong:

-I have two link lists. I am attempting to move all of the link from one list to the other (both are the latest version 2.x)

-I am going into list 1, and doing a mysql dump through mysqlman. When I do the dump, I write to a file /home/links/site1/dump

-I select only the "lsql_Links" table, and "Write Create Table" (with no options) and "Write Insert statements" (with no options). It successfully writes the file.

-I then go into list 2, and click on >database>import/export. I type in /home/links/site1/dump as the location of the def files, choose "import from links 2.x", and check "Clear tables" and "show errors".

Am I making any mistake in that process?
Quote Reply
I found when doing imports from older version I really had to play around with the import settings.... basically I dont show any errors, and do a strict import.

But I understand you are importing from SQL 2.x files.... hmmm

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
You need the actual .def files from the Links 2.x version. The definition files aren't dumps of the database, but variables and settings for the tables. Basically to import from a Links 2.x database, you will need the database flat files and defs as they exist in the working 2.x install.

Sean