Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

I Feel Really Stupid...

Quote Reply
I Feel Really Stupid...
I feel really stupid for asking this, but...

What exactly is a category editor? How do I set one up?

I'm assuming this is somehow related to the browser_xxx.html files in the templates?
I only ask because when I click the Browse option to open the Category Browser in Admin, there's nothing under Home.

If I could give a lower-level administrator the option to move, edit and delete links via something like that, that would be very cool...

--Bri

Quote Reply
Re: I Feel Really Stupid... In reply to
In Reply To:
What exactly is a category editor?
Uh...Like the Open Directory Project:

http://www.dmoz.org

In Reply To:
How do I set one up?
Go into your admin.cgi and select the EDITORS table.

In Reply To:
I'm assuming this is somehow related to the browser_xxx.html files in the templates?
Uh....not really.

In Reply To:
If I could give a lower-level administrator the option to move, edit and delete links via something like that, that would be very cool...
Uh...that is what the Editor option does...as discussed and addressed in several Threads in the various LINKS SQL forums!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Re: I Feel Really Stupid... In reply to
Eliot's right, an Editor is a person who has limited administrative permissions to view/validate/modify links in your directory, just like at dmoz.org.

To experiment with the 'Editor' feature's and get a feel for the options available to editors you could create an 'editor' for yourself and login using those details.

One thing I'm not sure of though, since I've never used editor's, is the 'Editor' link only available when using page.cgi - to make the link appear at the bottom of the category page? (I assume it won't work for static pages, but I may be wrong on that?)

All the best
Shaun